Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #1

Garage
not reaching its limit

my 2002 S has the covnertible light on even when the latch is in place in closed position. I can hear the motor but its not enabling it to close completely, the windows work fine when the latch is released...but when i try to reopen the top the motors just sounds again but it does not move.

Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Maybe your drive cables have gotten stretched/broken. Are you saying the top is now in the closed position but the light does not go off after the cycle has completed and the motor has stopped? Is the cover (the large body-colored aluminum panel that lifts and lowers) fully down? Finally, are you now also unable to get the top to open from its closed position? When you unlatch it and press the button, does anything at all move or make any noise?

You'll need to see if you can get the top into the service position so you can get under there and start checking things. I'm sure Maurice (1schoir) will happen by this thread and give you a good foundation to start working from.

If the light is staying on but the top is fully up and able to be latched, you should be ok as long as you're not trying to force anything. If you're having to muscle anything and force it to move, stop, or you'll run the risk of causing damage to things.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the reply, I tried this morning again and it lifts from side only if I keep pushing the button to open there is force sounds and seems like it may break something, and if I push the button to close it the passenger side shell goes below the normal level still the left side behind the drivers side doesn't move.
Its worrying me to open it into service mode now...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Yeah, don't do anything further with it. Something's misaligned, and if you try to force the issue something's going to break.

Sorry to ask you again, but I'm not totally following your description. What is moving from one side only? The top or the metal cover on the back? And are you saying that the passenger side of the cover goes lower than flush with the trunk lid when closing? If so, that's definitely strange. If you mean that the top is moving farther forward on one side than the other side, that makes some sense if things are out of alignment.

If things aren't moving in sync and the motor sounds like it's straining to move things then don't try anymore. If you're able to leave the top closed, light on or not, do so. Send a message to 1schoir on here. He doesn't come on very frequently, but if he does and sees your issue, I'm sure he'll be able to give you some good advice on what to do. Just try to explain what's happening as clearly as possible and supply some pictures if you can if they will help.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Garage
the metal cover rises from one side and thats the passenger side, and if i push the button to close position it goes below the flush level with the trunk, i have kept closed now and should be emailing 1schoir too...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
If I had to venture a rather uneducated guess, it seems like one or both of the transmissions that drive the top may be out of sync, which would throw off the movement of the metal cover and of the top itself. It's also possible that one of the cables has broken or worn out, and is not driving the one side that seems to be staying down and locked in place. Hopefully Maurice will get in touch with you soon. He's also helping me with some top issues of my own.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top