Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
jakesbox

Opening top to work on motor

All

I was told by the previous owner to NEVER start opening or closing the top and stop while doing so...always go through the full cycle. Curious as to what happens? I guess I am a little confused as some of the info I have been reading on working on the motor is that you have to open the top just a few inches in order to get to the back and top of the motor? So, how does a P dealer or mechanic do it without breaking it? Clear as mud??

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

I stop it all the time, especially to do the famous plastic window fold and to work on the engine bay. never had a problem
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Never heard that. Sounds like the previous owner may have been misinformed.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #4

Sounds like he was either pulling your leg or, at a minimum, had no idea what he was talking about. As indicated above, stopping part way is how you get into the engine bay from the top, and how you do "the chop" to keep from creasing your back window.

Assuming the PO actually knew no better (and therefore never did the window chop thing when opening the top), what kind of shape is your vinyl in? (Assumes as well that yours is an older Box with vinyl, not glass.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
jakesbox

I am the third owner actually. First owner had the car in Kansas. From the looks of it, must have either done the chop everytime or never put the top down! The second owner - and person I bought it off of, was a dealer in TX who moved the car to ATL when he moved shop. So, that being said, I dont think he ever put more than (according to carfax) 200 miles on the car. It was trailered from TX to Atlanta. So the vinyl is in great condition.

I was doing the chop while my wife would put it down because of what he told me. BUT - I do believe the reason he said that is because the day before I flew to ATL to pick it up...I got a call at about 6 pm and he said we may have an issue. He was showing a guy (the guy who delivered it to me on that Saturday) how to put the top down and up in case I had any questions. But, He stopped it I guess on accident halfway through and the passenger window actuater failed. So, I actually had to pick the car up at the Porsche dearlership ($750 out of his pocket for the fix) the next day. He must have equated the actuator breaking to stopping the top midway? Anyway I am now not going to be overly concerned. I stopped doing the chop but will now chop away. If my window goes (when it goes) I will replace with glass!

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
jakesbox

PS - its a 2002 with 35,200 miles on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

Garage
What is the "chop"? I assume it is a bending inward of the plastic window? didn't know you had to do that.
davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
jakesbox

Because those windows dont fold evenly, the chop helps it fold perfectly in the middle. Watch your window next time you open the top, it gets a little contorted out of shape. The "chop" will help the life of it!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #9

Yeah, without the chop you can get some folds that come to a sharp point and really stress the vinyl. Not as big a deal in this weather, but if it's at all cool you can really put some permanent creases (ie potential failure points) in the material.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #10

My window often closes with a perfect split right in the middle. if it does not, I can manipulate into doing so from the inside without getting out of the car. The "chop" is rarely needed...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

Garage
No way to put top in "service position" without stopping when putting up or down.

The chop is pretty important for plastic window survival. Just replaced top on my 2000 S. So nice to have clear view and no funky crease line. Just avoid the possibility of scratching when you chop or chopping when plastic is dirty or dusty.

mrjr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote