Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Blue smoke on start up

I recently purchased a CPO 2010 base Boxster with 5500 miles. About one out of every ten times i start the car a fairly sizable cloud of blue smoke is produced. My Porsche dealer says this is not unusual. Anyone disagree?

jackdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Depends on "fairly sizeable". Any excessive use of oil? If so, ask the dealer to borescope the engine for cylinder scoring.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I have not checked the oil level in the past several weeks but the last time i checked (at around 3000 miles post last oil change) it showed I was registering three quarters full.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #4

Mine has smoked twice in 1 1/2 years after I was parked on a hill. Not on level ground. ?????
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #5

That was not the case with me. I was told that: with these horizontally opposed engines, it is not uncommon for a small amount of oil to be left in a space where it doesn't drain completely and therefore burns off on start up. The amount of blue smoke is fairly large in that it fills my rear view mirror. What is curious is that if this were common, why does it not happen more consistently?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdar View Post
That was not the case with me. I was told that: with these horizontally opposed engines, it is not uncommon for a small amount of oil to be left in a space where it doesn't drain completely and therefore burns off on start up. The amount of blue smoke is fairly large in that it fills my rear view mirror. What is curious is that if this were common, why does it not happen more consistently?
It can be inherent to the engine design. That being said my 02 986 S (52000 miles) almost never smokes when parked on level ground and when it does, it is never "sizable"... Are you sure what you are seeing is not a tiny bit of smoke combined with a sizable amount of steam?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #7

Garage
My 2004 S does that occasionally too. The pattern I've detected is it smokes on the next start after the car was driven without getting warmed up such as moving it out of the garage temporarily.
Foydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

air oil separator needs to be replaced.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Could be the AOS. To check it, remove the oil cap with the engine running, then put your hand over the opening to seal it off. You should feel just the slightest vacuum if its good.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Could be normal or could be AOS.

It is somewhat common to get a big billow of smoke on startup that will fill your rearview mirror. In fact, the first time it happens you will think that your engine just blew up! As long as it only happens occasionally, there isn't anything to worry about.

It could also be the start of a failing AOS. If so, don't worry, it will get worse and you'll be laying down smoke screens worthy of James Bond very soon. That will be the clue that tells you to have the AOS replaced.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Only first hand experience will allow you to determine whether this is just the normal flat-six random smoke or something more serious. My guess is that your engine is fine.

These flat sixes can put out a bit of smoke depending on a lot of variables including gradient and how they were driven last time. I find if I start my car briefly from cold then shut it off (if I'm just moving it out of the way of something on a drive for instance) and come back the next day and crank it, it will smoke. It's also much more likely to smoke if not parked on a completely flat surface.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Great feedback....thanks everyone. One more note: when I brought the car in for its state inspection (which includes an emissions check), it passed without issue. From what I have read regarding the Air Oil Separator, if this were a chronic problem, I would assume it would have failed the emissions test.

I do look for similar variables when it happens (was the car re-started after a short period since being shut off; was the car on a non-level surface; had it been sometime since the car was started) and none of them seem to be consistent.

I will continue to monitor and ask that my Porsche dealer check the vacuum and AOS at my next oil change.