Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #1

Tip Warning Caption

Hi, I have been getting a red Tiptronic warning light on and off on my last few drives. I live in Dubai - so it getting warm now. 2002 2.7 boxster. I can clear the caption with the lever - today it came on after manual shifting down an a nice bend.

Took it to an indy - a good guy who I trust - no codes were displayed on his tester.

He suggests a fluid cx - cost about $500 with the Porsche fluid, filter and labour. He charges about $100 for the labour.

Could it be anything else before I spend this $500?

Car has 150k Km (90k miles) and it had a transmission change some years ago. I have had the car for 4mths and the issue has just started.

any thoughts please?

Thanks

Simon

ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

Get the car scanned by someone with the correct equipment (PST II, PIWIS, Durametric) to see what is actually causing the code before you spend any money.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Did the mechanic just use a code reader or did he have a PST2, PIWIS or Durametric that can read the TIP diagnostic codes?

Code readers won't help and the fact that one came back clean means nothing.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #4

Hi Mike

He used a netbook - I did not see the make of s/w - but it interrogated a number of areas and I did see a screen that said something to the effect of "no Transmission faults"

He has been servicing P for some 15 years so I suspect it was the correct tool.

Thanks, Simon
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

I would get on the phone and verify that fact, there are a lot of software systems that claim to be able to do this, only problem is that experience has shown that there are only three that actually can……….
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Ok - point noted - I will speak to him - as I said I have seen his work and spoken to others and believe him to be trustworthy.

If your doubts are unfounded and he does have the right equipment then back to my original question - is changing the fluid the next course to take or is there anything else to consider?

Thanks Simon
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

It could be the fluid, but it would be very unusual for dirty fluid to casue the car to throw a warning.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

ok - thanks - once I have confirmed with him which type of tester he used I will report back.

Thanks

Simon
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #9

He uses Durametric. I got the caption today after a drop from 5th to 3rd on a sweeping LH bend. He said he will do the fluid cx for a little over $300 so I will get it done this week.

Simon
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

I started to get the message on a daily basis - it happened today doing 50KPH - it was about 32DegC outside.

I had the ATF, filter nad gasket changed today. The inspection with the cover off showed nothing obvious, nor were any codes showing on the durametric. The old oil was dark and "a bit thin" according to the tech. So far so good no codes on the way home.

Simon