Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Garage
New owner

I'm a new owner of 1998 Boxster 2.5. I've had it about a month. A couple of issues hopefully you guys can help with. I've read the related threads.
1. The CEL light is on. The first code(I don't remember the number) was a minor code related to emissions so I changed the air filter to a K&N and removed the MAF, cleaned it and reinstalled. I reset the light and all was fine for a few hours. The light came back on and now I have a P1130 code. What now?
2. Is there a point where you can stop worrying about the IMS bearing? The car has 74K miles and runs great. It idles perfect and is very quiet. You can stand outside the car and can't tell it's running.

Thanks for any help.

davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #2

Garage
P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
To answer qu.2. I think that it comes with the territory of owning a Boxster of any kind until the year 2009 where it has been engineered out. I have a 2001 Boxster base 2.7 and I have the Ims guardian installed which will detect an impending ims failure. As I have said before it is near impossible to run a Boxster as cheaply as a Miata. But if you do your own repairs u can save lots on labor. I am sure that I could easily spend about $7k at my indy garage doing a new clutch, rms, new ims plus a couple of other things. But for now she runs well. The big spending can wait a year or two
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

Independent Garage

If you've been following this forum for any length of time you also know to avoid the Stealership whenever possible. Find a reliable indy for the work you're not comfortable with and save a ton of money. As for the IMS, think of it like the IMF -- it doesn't exist and drive your Box like the Doktor intended.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Great call my p car has 107k on the clock & was cheap enough to roll the dice. you must figure out your own repairs though. brake switch. emergency brake switch etc. have fun!

Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote