Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Help name that sound.....

Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I got this weird sound as I was taking off in first gear. It went away for a few days and now it just happens randomly. I haven't quite narrowed down what specifically causes the noise. From what I can tell so far, it only happens when I'm letting out the clutch in first gear or reverse. And it only happens from a stop, never while I'm changing gears into 2nd, 3rd, 4 th, or 5th. Since I've noticed the sound, it's randomly happened about eight times. I don't notice any performance issues when the sound happens. Nor do I feel any odd vibrations when it happens. I'm assuming I have the original clutch, I bought the car with 50,000 miles and haven't changed yet. The only way I know how to describe the sound is that it sounds like someone flipped the switch on a hydraulic pump for a second or two as I'm letting the clutch out. It's loud enough to hear with the top up, windows closed and radio moderately on. And it's a strange enough sound for my girlfriend to say "what was that?" Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Kevin

Stock 98 5 speed Boxster with 75,000 miles

kbayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayashi View Post
Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I got this weird sound as I was taking off in first gear. It went away for a few days and now it just happens randomly. I haven't quite narrowed down what specifically causes the noise. From what I can tell so far, it only happens when I'm letting out the clutch in first gear or reverse. And it only happens from a stop, never while I'm changing gears into 2nd, 3rd, 4 th, or 5th. Since I've noticed the sound, it's randomly happened about eight times. I don't notice any performance issues when the sound happens. Nor do I feel any odd vibrations when it happens. I'm assuming I have the original clutch, I bought the car with 50,000 miles and haven't changed yet. The only way I know how to describe the sound is that it sounds like someone flipped the switch on a hydraulic pump for a second or two as I'm letting the clutch out. It's loud enough to hear with the top up, windows closed and radio moderately on. And it's a strange enough sound for my girlfriend to say "what was that?" Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Kevin

Stock 98 5 speed Boxster with 75,000 miles
Despite your excellent description without actually hearing the noise I'm just guessing, but due to age & mileage probably the clutch throwout bearing. If the clutch & engine mount are original you definitely want to replace the mount asap & it would be good to inspect clutch,flywheel,RMS & IMSB soon. When the clutch wears it engages at a higher point in the pedal travel & becomes more difficult to engage smoothly so watch for that.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe first and reverse share a common synchro
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

I appreciate the help. Now that I've don a little research, I'm kinda thinking its the clutch throw out bearing too. I will have it inspected soon. For my info, whats an RMS and IMSB?

Thanks again
kbayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayashi View Post
I appreciate the help. Now that I've don a little research, I'm kinda thinking its the clutch throw out bearing too. I will have it inspected soon. For my info, whats an RMS and IMSB?

Thanks again
Do a little more reSEARCH by searching the forum for IMSB & RMS

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote