986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   IMS Guardian (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/34893-ims-guardian.html)

thstone 05-25-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 286340)
I have dropped my sump and found nothing just wondering if this sealant would be a one time accumulation or can it appear later in the engines life....

It can appear at any time. There is no way to know when the excess sealant will pull off.

ohioboxster 06-03-2012 12:35 PM

I went a different route. I'm sporting an Anti-IMS Voodoo T-shirt, seems to be working very well so far.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...2at73422AM.png

MikenOH 06-03-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioboxster (Post 292635)
I went a different route. I'm sporting an Anti-IMS Voodoo T-shirt, seems to be working very well so far.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...2at73422AM.png

Matt:
That shirt only works for GT3 and 996/997 TT owners ;). BTW, don't forget about nelsons in Mid-july.

mikefocke 06-04-2012 05:42 AM

Also there is a low cost version of the guardian coming out in a few months.

The Guardian doesn't protect your engine from failure, just gives you a much better chance of only having to do the IMS and oil pan cleaning because you detected the failure early so you probably won't have to pay the big $ for an engine rebuild.

With the Guardian, you can still have an IMS bearing failure...it doesn't reduce the chance a bit.

jaykay 06-05-2012 01:24 PM

Chip detectors have been widely used in aerospace applications where advanced warning of an impending failure is a matter of life or death; you can't just pull over.

Since their use was maintained, I would think there has been sufficient lead time to failure experience for the concept....saving man and machine.

blue2000s 06-05-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 292905)
Chip detectors have been widely used in aerospace applications where advanced warning of an impending failure is a matter of life or death; you can't just pull over.

Since there use was maintained, I would think there has been sufficient lead time to failure experience for the concept....saving man and machine.

Absolutely agree. If this were a method that somehow just detected impending failure of the IMS alone, I would agree with the above post that just putting in the ceramic/hardened replacement bearing makes more financial sense, and I argued this point before Jake expained the operation of the device.

However, now that we understand that it's a steel debris detection device, which can warn of any number of potential engine health issues, I'm totally on board. In fact, this should be a device on EVERY car. Flat-6 should work on wider marketing, IMO, it could be his retirement ticket.

Jake Raby 06-05-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Flat-6 should work on wider marketing, IMO, it could be his retirement ticket.
Done. The IMSG Jr. is actually the Porsche version of the "Engine Guardian" that is being marketed for many other cars and fleet vehicles. The application is not just engines, but also gearboxes and rear gear applications.

The universal version literally plugs directly into the dash, requires no wiring other than a single wire to the MCD sensor and can go into anything. Our "Jr." set up hasn't taken so long to design just for the Porsche application, a lot of that time was spent making the system fit anything and everything with nothing more than an application specific drain plug being necessary.

davedeck 06-09-2012 07:08 PM

Shouldn't there be a class action suit against Porsche on this IMS failure or report to NHSTA? If they got excited about Lexus floormats, can yyou imagine what would happen on this? LOL

mikefocke 06-10-2012 07:10 AM

MCD Sensor? What is MCD?

Jake Raby 06-10-2012 07:31 AM

Magnetic Chip Detector- MCD is the acronym for the term that is most used in the aviation world for these sensors.

mikefocke 06-10-2012 12:25 PM

Thanks Jake ... added MCD to the acronyms list I maintain here.

jb92563 06-10-2012 06:42 PM

Jake, can you help with statistics on the Guardian?

How many sold
How many engine saves
How many that could not save the engine in time.

Trying to decide whether I should put one in or wait for a 60K service in another
10K miles and just do the LN Bearing.

firstporsche 06-15-2012 07:46 AM

Love your acronyms list!
Thanks for it.

rdass623 04-21-2014 08:50 PM

i am not familiar with the guardian system, but having been an aviation mechanic (helicopter) for 8 years, I know the effectiveness of a chip detector. it is mandatory on all the gearboxes and engines I worked on in the army. it saves lives and the equipment. also there was an extensive oil testing program for the detection of non ferrous metals. the fact there is an available chip detector, is a great preventative measure to avoid catastrophic engine failure. anyone who has a link to the various systems available, please post it. I am new to the Porsche community, but have been known to play with my toys, and push systems to failure once or twice before.

thanx,
ron

BFeller 04-22-2014 01:58 AM

Here is the link:

IMS Guardian

I ordered mine within days of getting of a Boxster. Waiting on delivery and then doing the install myself.

DennisAN 04-22-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bala (Post 286595)
used Loctite 590 around the outer edges of the plate.

I believe this is Loctite 5900 - correction for making this thread searchable in the future.

Loctite 5900 comes in 50ml and 300ml sizes (very expensive). How long will the 300ml last after it's opened?

Are any of the Permatex black RTV products a suitable equivalent?