Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Tiptronic Slipping...

Hi,

Any ideas on what could be causing my tip to seem to slip between 3rd and 4th? It nearly feels like that hand brake is on, very odd. No warning lights and otherwise the box is fine.

Thanks, Andrew.

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Had the same issue and needed a new transmission. I suggest getting it into a shop ASAP. Good luck!
Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Eeeekkkk.!

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Lot of Tip issues lately (myself included).. might start by checking the fluid level.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Count me in this group as well. In fact, I've replaced mine myself and it's still giving me fits!! That said, there are LOTS that can go wrong with these so called "bulletproof" gearboxes. Seems like everybody has issues slipping from 3rd to 4th. I'd definitely get that fluid level checked stat and go from there. LMK if I can be of any help, as I've just about killed myself swapping out transmission related items in my car and there's not a wealth of info out there regarding it either. G'luck

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Seems I was too hasty in thinking it was the box. What I was thinking was slipping was infact the engine hitting a brick wall between 3rd and 4th on a hill and then lurching into 4th. Also all the wooly feeling again was the engine being very slow to pick up. A new maf fitted today and its like a totally new car. I also have a small vac leak, yet to be fixed. So fingers crossed all is well.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #7

Vac leak fixed last friday. It's made a big difference to the actual gear changes. Now much smoother. :-)