Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

AC LCD panel repair kit

Happened to stumble across this on ebay. anyone tried it or know anyhting about it?

Porsche Boxster/996/997 LCD Repair Kit for Climate Control Systems

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Porsche-Boxster-996-997-LCD-Repair-Kit-for-Climate-Control-Systems-/160742167726?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256cfad4ae

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

yes. it's module master's kit. the panel is from audi. i think more than a few people (including myself) on the forum have used it. pretty easy to do. just remove the climate control unit, take out a few screws, wires and clips. clean up and install. i miss having it display "manuell" but i prefer it over the sunset that was happening.

ModuleMaster | Services | Climate Controls

before:

after:

Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

I just did this from Module Master as well and it was a snap. Do it and you wont regret it.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Module Master, eh? I've learned something new here.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

LCD replacement

Replaced LCD with Module Master kit several months ago. Easy and looks like new again.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Wow, this posting opportunistic as my LCD's started dieing today and was dreading the 700.00 repair option.

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
A Sunday bump for one easy mod. Ordered my [ModuleMaster | Services | Climate Controls], had it to my house yesterday and installed in less they 20 minutes. Even one of the switches that was not working before now works.

Tony you saved me $650 bones! Thank you.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #8

I did the repair on my wife's S. It's pretty simple. The display is just a little difference but not a big deal. Keep searching, tho. If I remember correctly, I bought my kit from a place in Oklahoma, USA. Price was closer to $40 US.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
The company I went through was in Moscow IDAHO USA )
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

sorry, i didn't read the entire string before i saw that you had already fixed your issue. i love this site!
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #11

Just joined, first post. I have had my 01 Base Boxster for 3 months, forgive the stupid questions. I just scheduled having the ignition replaced, I was "this close" to getting it done myself, just couldn't get at those two pesky screws! Back to topic, my question is, how does one remove the module, and what is that level of difficulty? My wrench wants over 350.00 for that job, and I can get the kit for 69 on eBay? Help appreciated! Glad I finally found this forum too.
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum!

Click on the 'module master' link in the second post (the one by tonycarreon) and you will see that the kit comes with instructions and everything you need.

As all of the above posters have stated that the job was quick and easy, I'm not sure what answer you are looking for when you ask about the level of difficulty.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #13

2 things to know when doing this repair.

1) Be sure to have a set of Torx drivers as some MY Boxsters have Torx screws instead of phillips heads. The instructions that I received did not make note of this and I had to stop what I was doing in the middle of the procedure to procure a set.

2) The instructions specifically state that you where cotton gloves when handling LCD parts. Take this to heart...do not try to substitute latex (even if there un-powdered). Cotton will ensure that no residue is left on the glass or Zebra strips. Latex will likely cause issues.

This was my first DIY project and it was a great bang for the buck!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #14

element: i'm a little confused as to what your question is. are you asking about the two screws on the ignition switch or are you asking about the LCD that's on your climate control display?

1) both are easy to do. i've done both and you can do it too.

2) if you're asking about the LCD, the screws are pretty standard screws. no special tools needed (as far as i remember). to get to the climate control unit, just pull off the sides of the center console and surround and you'll see it's just screwed in with a couple of screws. remove them, disconnect a wire bundle and it slides right out.

3) if you're asking about the ignition switch, the most difficult thing is just getting in the right position. it really does help to be an olympic gymnast. for me i found that if i just got in upside down (face on brake, feet on headrest) it was a lot easier. trying to do it with my feet outside of the car was painful on my back with the door sill determined to snap my spine. the screws are tiny so get a teeny-tiny screwdriver. i also used a headband light but that didn't help much since i couldn't turn my head enough. most of it was by feel.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #15

Sorry Tony, that was confusing. I was really asking about the removal of the AC module, I'll look at the pics on the second post. Thanks for the fast answers guys!
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
element: i'm a little confused as to what your question is. are you asking about the two screws on the ignition switch or are you asking about the LCD that's on your climate control display?

1) both are easy to do. i've done both and you can do it too.

2) if you're asking about the LCD, the screws are pretty standard screws. no special tools needed (as far as i remember). to get to the climate control unit, just pull off the sides of the center console and surround and you'll see it's just screwed in with a couple of screws. remove them, disconnect a wire bundle and it slides right out.

3) if you're asking about the ignition switch, the most difficult thing is just getting in the right position. it really does help to be an olympic gymnast. for me i found that if i just got in upside down (face on brake, feet on headrest) it was a lot easier. trying to do it with my feet outside of the car was painful on my back with the door sill determined to snap my spine. the screws are tiny so get a teeny-tiny screwdriver. i also used a headband light but that didn't help much since i couldn't turn my head enough. most of it was by feel.
The CC unit in my 2002 S utilizes Torx screws to hold the unit in place. I know that not all cars are like this but some are. The instructions that came with the LCD repair made no mention of it.

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote