986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Help fabricating cam lock tool (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/34496-help-fabricating-cam-lock-tool.html)

san rensho 03-21-2012 10:46 AM

Help fabricating cam lock tool

I may have to reseal the cam covers soon and I want to fabricate the cam lock tool. Could someone who has a 5 chain tool do me a favor and photocopy the tool (just lay it on the glass of the copier and copy away) and then e-mail me the copy?

Thanks a lot, just send me a PM if you can do this.

Spinnaker 03-21-2012 04:14 PM

Have you seen this guys site.
986fix.com - photos

san rensho 03-21-2012 05:16 PM

Thanks, but what I'm looking for is the flat bar LN tool.

Jaxonalden 03-21-2012 07:10 PM

I have the complete LN IMS removal/install kit. I can photocopy the tool like you want but it won't be until Sunday/Monday because I'm on vacation 1200 miles from my shop. I'll check in periodically to see if someone has already sent you the specs.

Good luck.

san rensho 03-22-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden (Post 283513)
I have the complete LN IMS removal/install kit. I can photocopy the tool like you want but it won't be until Sunday/Monday because I'm on vacation 1200 miles from my shop. I'll check in periodically to see if someone has already sent you the specs.

Good luck.

Thanks so much. I'm not in a hurry.

BoxsterSteve 03-22-2012 05:42 PM

I'd be very grateful if a copy could be passed this way too...

Many thanks!

Jaxonalden 03-25-2012 06:53 PM

Boxster Steve and San Rensho,

I'm back, have taken pics and scanned the cam lock tools (I think that's them). I can e-mail you (need you addresses, IM me) the low resolution pics and scan. If you want the high res (2.5 meg pic and 22 meg scan) let me know and I'll do it.

Attached are the two tools.http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1332730397.jpg

san rensho 03-26-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks! After looking at your pictures, I think I may not have the skills to fab one.

JFP in PA 03-27-2012 02:59 AM

Take the drawing to a fab shop with a plasma cutter, they can knock it out in a couple of min.......

Brad Roberts 03-27-2012 03:16 PM

or.. buy them.. it won't be the last time you use them. I'm all for sharing info.. but publicly knocking off someones tools?? Really??

B

Jake Raby 03-27-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 284191)
or.. buy them.. it won't be the last time you use them. I'm all for sharing info.. but publicly knocking off someones tools?? Really??

B

Nothing ceases to amaze me these days. People~

Brad Roberts 03-27-2012 03:28 PM

I have someone blowing up my phone trying to sell me "knockoff" LN engineering IMS bearings.. no thanks.. I didn't work to help him get his parts into SSF only to knock his stuff off and sell it behind his back :(

B

Jake Raby 03-27-2012 03:37 PM

Thats why I trust no one, no shop and no other company. The same goes for another product that we just started testing today, I have only told one person and sent that one person a single time stamped pic and video of the unit to "date" the technology. I did this only because I needed a "verifier" thats noteworthy in the industry to say "Yep I saw that in March of 2012" when we unveil it in 2014 with full world patent protection in place. It is the solution~

The stuff we are doing for the DFI cars is being handled MUCH differently. My 4.2 9A1 combo will be divulged to no one, the same with ALL the parts and ALL the tools.
This used to be a 3.4, now its a 4.2 and I'll die without telling anyone how we have done it. See this short video of a 2010 Cayman X recently born at Flat 6 Innovations and in testing now. Yes we are crazy, car still under warranty with 14K miles, we pulled it apart, bored and stroked it to the max and did it with no prior experience and zero assistance from the factory.
http://youtu.be/62i7wYcHAYg

Brad Roberts 03-27-2012 04:04 PM

NICE!!

Man.. the guy driving must be a *real* redneck with that "yeah" :)

For the larger bore/stroke, it RPM's very very quickly..

Charles car?

I'll never forget the first time I took apart one your T4's back in 02 or so. Had no idea it was one of yours until later on when you leaked out some engine build secrets and I figured out the previous owner was from Georgia.. put 2+2 together :)

B

san rensho 03-27-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 284191)

B

Let me see, didn't all the aftermarket makers of porsche cam tools knock them off from an already existing Porsche tool?

Jake Raby 03-27-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 284208)
Let me see, didn't all the aftermarket makers of porsche cam tools knock them off from an already existing Porsche tool?

Nope..Not all. Some people did, but one of the tools pictured there was never a Porsche tool.

Brad Roberts 03-27-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

No.. I have 24/7 access to the Porsche tools, and we use a combination of LN tools and our own in house tools not based on anything from Porsche.

Jaxonalden 03-27-2012 07:22 PM

With all due respect guys; I bought and paid for these tools, there’re mine. If I can help fellow 986forum members in any way, I will. Advice, parts, tools or whatever is needed…even a simple picture or two…God forbid!!

Putting a guilt trip on me or anyone else is uncalled for.

To anyone out there that needs help, just ask. That’s what this forum is all about. We’re here because we have a love of these cars and the brotherhood (or sisterhood) that loves brings. Don’t be intimidated.

jdcorbitt3 03-28-2012 03:21 AM

Funny. I bought this L&N kit, but it came with only one tool to lock each type if engine. My understanding is you should lock down both sides to eliminate the chance of grenading the engine after replacing the bearing. I was thinking of copying my tool so my kit is complete. I am not interested in making knockoffs. I just want a complete kit

John

Jake Raby 03-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden (Post 284235)
With all due respect guys; I bought and paid for these tools, there’re mine. If I can help fellow 986forum members in any way, I will. Advice, parts, tools or whatever is needed…even a simple picture or two…God forbid!!

Putting a guilt trip on me or anyone else is uncalled for.

To anyone out there that needs help, just ask. That’s what this forum is all about. We’re here because we have a love of these cars and the brotherhood (or sisterhood) that loves brings. Don’t be intimidated.

Yes, and I understand that. Its our fault for not limiting the application of the tools and technology more and making it available to anyone and everyone.

Being constantly copied by competitors, moochers and looters is just part of the game when you are at the top. No matter how long I stay here, it never gets any easier to swallow or deal with.