Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Forced Induction for 2.5L Boxster

So I recently got my hands on a 2.5L '99 Boxster. The thing is a blast to drive! I love having a convertible and getting all those good looks driving downtown.

However, going from an '02 WRX, I find the 986 lacks slightly in the power department. I'm often downshifting to get the speed I want.

I've done what research I could in the past few days, and have seen that TPC Racing makes the best forced induction kit. However, I haven't seen anyone install it on the older 2.5L models (the one I drive). TPC Racing's website also seems to be down.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
So I recently got my hands on a 2.5L '99 Boxster. The thing is a blast to drive! I love having a convertible and getting all those good looks driving downtown.

However, going from an '02 WRX, I find the 986 lacks slightly in the power department. I'm often downshifting to get the speed I want.

I've done what research I could in the past few days, and have seen that TPC Racing makes the best forced induction kit. However, I haven't seen anyone install it on the older 2.5L models (the one I drive). TPC Racing's website also seems to be down.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
There have been a few success stories but FI in a 2.5L Boxster has generally resulted in scattered parts and connecting rods sticking out of places they didn't belong. The chief problem to overcome is a very narrow tuning window running 11:1 compression ratio and pump gas. A much more successful path to hp has been the 3.4L motor transplant. It is everyday drivable and as reliable as the stock motor with 100 extra ponies.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

3.4L engine sounds very enticing. I've always loved the fast response of NA engines. Can you point me in the right direction of where to look for one?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
3.4L engine sounds very enticing. I've always loved the fast response of NA engines. Can you point me in the right direction of where to look for one?
Have fun!
Los Angeles Dismantler
Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

Garage
I agree with Topless, from both a cost perspective, as we'l as a reliability one, there have been very few success stories regarding forced induction systems for 986 platform vehicles .
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll do more research
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

I would stay away from FI, As stated above the base compression ratio is fairly high to TC or SC. To do it properly and to stay in the desired AF it would be advisable to go with stand alone, tons of dyno runs, accurate pyrometer, wide band, drop the compression and at that cost point stick with a 3.4.

If you really want the performance of of your old WRX you can always drop that motor in.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

Garage
I don't mean to derail the thread regarding forced induction boxster engines, but if you're interested in more power, search for the guy who put an audi v8 engine in his boxster. There were apparently two engine swaps performed in the usa (one of the guys tried to sell his). The engine is surprisingly cheap $1,000-$2,000, but the integrating it would prove to be very hard I would imagine. Also, another guy on the forums put in a subaru boxer engine his boxster with success, if that interests you as well.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Garage
OK, my two cents.
Save the money you're planning on a turbo or whatever and trade in for a more recent Boxster S.

You would spent sooo much time and money on trying to get your old Boxster running with FI that it would spoil all the fun of driving it. These engines are completely designed as NA, trying to convert them to FI is a can of worms.
I know how you feel because I'm driving a Saab Viggen and a base 2002 Boxster. They are completely different beasts, but both have their fun parts and I love driving both of them as long as I keep their differences in mind. So, my option is to have both a FI and a NA car, I drive them depending on my mood and the weather.
Another option is to wait until the new turbo-ed flat-4 Boxster comes out.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

There are some add ons you can purchase that will increase the 2.5 performance to the point you will feel the difference but buying HP for a 986 isn't cheap. If you want a bump for the summer try a pulley kit from RSS, if you open up the exhaust at the same time you can get some extra yaya's out. Other than that, my opinion is the best way to buy HP is from the factory in the car you desire. Porsche are really not 0-60 beasts (unless you have sport plus and launch control) or you have purchased a high end 911 the 2.5 Boxster is more about how it handles once it's wound up.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 03-18-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #11

Something I picked up from what you said about downshifting to get more power. You should be keeping your revs up anyway with these cars. I try to keep my revs over 2800 all the time even at steady speed. Lugging is about the worst possible thing you can do to these cars. Think of it as a motorcycle with four wheels - tons of power, zip for torque.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #12

If it isn't fast enough, here are the options I know about. None are cheap and as effective as their proponents would have you believe and many carry issues with emissions compliance and driveability.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I don't mean to derail the thread regarding forced induction boxster engines, but if you're interested in more power, search for the guy who put an audi v8 engine in his boxster. There were apparently two engine swaps performed in the usa (one of the guys tried to sell his). The engine is surprisingly cheap $1,000-$2,000, but the integrating it would prove to be very hard I would imagine. Also, another guy on the forums put in a subaru boxer engine his boxster with success, if that interests you as well.
Kenny has a good point here, If you are not a purist to the Porsche motor their are lots of options. The trans will bolt up to most of the Audi and VW family and at that point you just have to get it mounted in there. The audi V8s are great motors but if you want the FI look into putting in the 2.7t which is easily capable of 600hp with some RS4 turbos and a little fiddling. Even the 1.8t is capable of 450hp without major internal work.

Here is a link to the Subaru swap, He did a beautiful Job,
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25697-boxster-subaru-conversion-interest.html

Last edited by amschnellsten; 03-18-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #14

I love the VW 1.8t motor
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpin View Post
I love the VW 1.8t motor
I agree buddy, One of the best motors ever built.