Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

How to set up key

Hello. I am sorry for my english. i am russian.
Anybody knows how to set up(or adjust) a key. that it opened a doors from the botton/ I have boxter 986 - 1998/

TransKMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

If it is a new key that has never been programed, it will have to be done at a dealer or at least someone with a PST2. If it is a key that was once programed to your car, but has now forgotten, I have found that starting the car with that key seemes to remind it of the code.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
If it is a new key that has never been programed, it will have to be done at a dealer or at least someone with a PST2. If it is a key that was once programed to your car, but has now forgotten, I have found that starting the car with that key seemes to remind it of the code.
Not quite correct. The car has a security computer, in which are four “slots” for keys to be registered. Each key head is unique, and cannot be programmed. You program the car to accept the key, not the other way around. Once the key’s data has been input by either a PST II (early cars) or a PIWIS (early or later cars), the slot is forever unavailable and dedicated to that specific key. The used slots cannot be altered or erased. Once all four are used, the computer must be replaced to add new keys.

Second problems is to add a new key, you must have the barcode that it came with. No barcode, car can’t be programmed. You can, however, move the chip from a key head with a defective transmitter to a new key head, and the car will accept it as though it were the old key.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-30-2010 at 02:19 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I can only speak about a 7.8 DME since I have not programmed any keys for earlier cars, but I have been able to delete keys and add new ones. In fact I accidentally deleted one that I did not have the code for and was able to later program a new one into that slot.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Thank you for answers. I shall try to understend next( PST II (early cars) or a PIWIS (early or later cars)
Today we were at key master/ he said that he know the man. who can do a new key(we have got 1 key and want to do 2) and set up old. but it will be cost 3000-4000 rubls or 100$
TransKMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

is it ok to take the old battery out of a key and replace it and have no issues on being reset?
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Sure as long as you don't damage the circuit board or zap it with static electricity while swapping the battery. The procedure is in your owners manual.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
is it ok to take the old battery out of a key and replace it and have no issues on being reset?
I did that and had to take it to the dealer to get reprogrammed. I tried everything to get it to sync, but nothing would work. If it works, I personally wouldn't disturb anything. These keys are so tempermental, it's crazy.
brewer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

cheers brewer, i have one key with a dead battery and one which is pretty close so i'll have to get something sorted soon
Old 04-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Sure as long as you don't damage the circuit board or zap it with static electricity while swapping the battery. The procedure is in your owners manual.
I did see it in the manual but thought i'd ask just incase there were issues
Old 01-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
cdnboxster

Ok I changed my battery - carefully and it doesnt seem to work, nor does my spare ?? any ideas?

cdnboxster is offline   Reply With Quote