Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
1999 base

Garage
shifter question

When installing the short shifter and the upgraded shift link, I manage (somehow) to release the other shift link (with the blue plastic part on pic 1) from the shaft (pic 4).
Trying to put it back in place is somehow puzzling. It will not lock on the shaft and can be remove very easily. There is a small black rivet on the center of the shaft, but it doesn’t look like it is looking anything (pic 3&4).
Am I missing an additional part here?
The shaft itself has a groove on one side of its surrounding. What side it is suppose to be facing?

Thanks in advance.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Slide the blue part back as far as you can, the cable then sits in a slot and the blue bit slides back over the cable locking it in place. You might have to wriggle the assembly around a bit to get it to snap back into place securely. The blue bit should cover the cable.

img]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/Pic051327339791.jpg[/img]

here is a link to an excellent walk thru at Pelican parts

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and thats how it worked. its been fine since!

hope this helps
nobby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

sorry didnt add the pic properly

also if it helps, the 'threads' on the end of the cable adjust the travel on the cable. Its probably best not to disconnect them but if you have, where you place the cable in the blue component decides how much slack there will be. I know that doesnt really describe it clearly but you'll see what I mean when you put the calbe in the slot.
nobby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Hi Nobby, thank you for your response.
I guess I failed to explain myself.
As you can see at my pictures 2 & 4, instead of sliding the blue part and disconnecting the cable from the shift link, I disconnected the shift link from the shifter it self.
Now, when I put it back it doesn't lock on the shaft. I'm not sure if I need to use more force to lock it. The little rivet kind of throw me off. Usually a rivet like that will be used to lock or secure something, in this case it looks like it is just seating there.
Unless I'm missing a part, or I broke the linkage

Last edited by Meir; 01-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

I have my original shifter off of 01 box.
I was able to just push the clip out from the back side of the white block (left right motion of the stick) and then pushed it back in with light thumb pressure. it was relatively easy to take off and put back in. little spooky how easy the piece snapped in.
If the legs (don't know what to call it, your photo #3 ) are not broken, it just snaps in and is flush with the top surface of the white collar sleeve.
the attache photo shows the pieces
hope this helps
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
LOL!
Just fixed it half an hour ago.:dance: Wanted to update the post, and saw yours.
Thanks anyway sb01box. I'm sure your pictures will help someone in the future.
It could definitely help me if posted sooner. If you look at pic # 4 that I posted you can see that the white plastic part is installed on the shaft before the shift link, and the other way around (the lip is facing the inner part of the shaft). That's why the black rivet didn't lock anything.
What I did today, is exactly as shown in the picture you posted.
1.installed the shift link on the shaft.
2. Install the white part with the lip facing outside (that's the only way it will go on if you INSTALL THE SHIFT LINK FIRST!)
3. Place the rivet.

Done.
So simple wham you are using your head.

I guess I did 2 mistakes on that project.
1. I didn't needed to disconnect the shift link from the shaft.
2. I shouldn't have done it outside my garage, when the sky is clear, and it's 74 degrees outside.
That makes me think of beer and pool.
So I finished the day at the pool, and the short shift today in 5 minutes. (yes i know, life is tough here in south Florida)

once again, thank you very much for taking the time to post your pictures.

Last edited by Meir; 01-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
WV Boxster

Garage
well I was excited for you then
So I finished the day at the pool, and the short shift today in 5 minutes. (yes i know, life is tough here in south Florida

Now maybe it would have been nice to have you work a week longer. No just kidding. We are actually thinking of moving south.

So congrats.