Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Gauge pod totally dead

It's my fault for sure, but some experienced ideas would be helpful. I just changed the sun damaged dashboard on my 986. I started the car and the entire gauge pod is dead. No indicator lights, no turn signals, no gauges movement, etc.

I gave up for the evening and to collect my thoughts about what could have been forgotten during reassembly. There are approx 30 conductors within 3 major connectors attached to the back of the gauge pod.....no way are there 30 bad connections! Nor are there 3 bad plastic connector installations. It has to be something like a fuse or ground.

The batt was disconnected during the entire project so how could I burn out a fuse? But I'll check it tomorrow.
Right now I'm at a loss and it looks like I have to remove the pod and investigate, but I really don't know where to begin.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

Garage
Maybe try this link - not sure if it will help or not.

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 Boxster (1997-04) -
crogers106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogers106 View Post
Thanks, but no use.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

my gauges have the vinyl faces on them and the bubble up do to the excessive heat exposure before i bout the car. So I pulled the unit out pulled it apart and flattend out the bubbles and connected it and started the car to see if it was working. now if you took it apart then you might have left one of the levers on the back of the gauge unlocked. Now i know i made that mistake but caught on quick, thanks to this info so ya make sure its in the right postion and if it is a brand new cluster then open it "if warranty wont be void" and check if there is any plastic isolators placed there for storage. Hope this helps.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
my gauges have the vinyl faces on them and the bubble up do to the excessive heat exposure before i bout the car. So I pulled the unit out pulled it apart and flattend out the bubbles and connected it and started the car to see if it was working. now if you took it apart then you might have left one of the levers on the back of the gauge unlocked. Now i know i made that mistake but caught on quick, thanks to this info so ya make sure its in the right postion and if it is a brand new cluster then open it "if warranty wont be void" and check if there is any plastic isolators placed there for storage. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this.... Actually, 2 out of 3 of the "locks" on the connectors won't lock since the little plastic springy locks broke off (flimsy). But they looked to be in position and secure anyway when I reassembled it. I'll have to recheck this.
Also, what is the diagram all about? I'm not sure what it is showing!
Thanks again.....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

gauges

If it is toast I have some gauges for the 986 for sale.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
Thanks for this.... Actually, 2 out of 3 of the "locks" on the connectors won't lock since the little plastic springy locks broke off (flimsy). But they looked to be in position and secure anyway when I reassembled it. I'll have to recheck this.
Also, what is the diagram all about? I'm not sure what it is showing!
Thanks again.....
The diagram is showing the rear side of one end of the instrument cluster (both ends look similar). There is an internal connector visible through the open rectangle under the screwdriver in the diagram on each end that needs to be fully inserted into the gauge socket. This connects the instrument cluster housing with the gauge cluster itself.

The diagram shows the tech using a screwdriver to push open on the slider tab that controls this connector. If this connection isn't connected firmly then none of the gauges will have power (and won't work).

With all of this being said, simply check to ensure that these slide connectors between the cluster gauges and the cluster housing are still making a firm connection even if you didn't touch them as maybe they became loose from handling.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-25-2012 at 10:46 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Problem Solved!!!!!

Thanks for the input. I took the gauge pod off and found one of the 3 large harness connectors not properly seated.

It's FIXED....Time for a well deserved beer.

Bob