Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #1

Anyone painted their brake calipers?

I've been considering painting my brake calipers red to go along with the Boxster S wheels that I put on my 01' "non-S" 986. I've seen some do it yourself kits online, but was wondering if anyone has done this themselves and how it turned out? Any recommendations regarding which kit to use? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #2

I've never done it, but several on the 928 forums have done theirs. All of the 928s came with black calipers. Anyway, most did it with good sanding/elbow grease and engine paint. Works like a charm and way less than the kits. I'll be painting my rotor centers with it so the rust look goes away.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #3

THis may not help much since I haven'y asctually started yet but...I picked up the brake paint kit for $15. It comes with cleaner tape and the paint and brush. thie reason i went this route is spray paint is messy. I did n't want to have to mask everything off and take the brakes apart. This stuff just paints on in layers. You still mask off the dics and bolts and lines.

I experimented with it on my bike and it looks good. the paint it very tacky and so you have to put a coat on and let it dry well before going over it or it "strings" everywhere.

After the paint I will throw on the Porsche stickers on Ebay and I am ready to roll!
scoobyrex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #4

Scooby - FYI, I saw somewhere that the stickers will melt or otherwise deteriorate when the calipers get hot (and I hear they get VERY hot). I can't remember where, but I did a google search and found a place that has Porsche stencils for the calipers so you can paint the word "Porsche" on them - but then again, you'll have to buy white caliper paint too.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #5

I used the G2 kit. contains brake cleaner, two part expoy paint, brush, paid about $30. I think it turned out pretty good and put the decals on from ebay. They still look good, no melt off. I recommend jacking the car up and doing all four at the same time because the paint will dry pretty fast and you can go to each caliper faster. I layered about 5-6 coats of the paint and let it dry 24hrs before driving.

I have pics but are too large to upload, can email if interested
Kevlar986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #6

The stickers are one thing I didn't think about. The ones I saw had raised aluminum letters so they were just taped off. Sounds like the kits may be the better way to go for the Boxster.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #7

I did all 4 calipers a few weeks back and have had great success with the method.
1st, I removed the pads and cleaned each caliper THOROUGHLY. Use 1:1 concentration of Simple Green, then rinsed with water.
2nd, after completely dry, I sprayed them with Hi-Temp, low gloss black paint (3 coats).
3rd, after drying, I transfered the stickers CAREFULLY onto the caliper.
4th, I sprayed 3 light coats of clear Hi-Temp enamel over each caliper. This should keep them attached, plus protect them when washing.
I haven't seen any signs of the stickers turning (burning) or breaking down.

mccarrm is offline   Reply With Quote