Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Shift linkage broke?

I made it all the way home today and then tried to pop it into reverse to park and..nothing. It feels like its going into gear although there is no longer any spring back in the shifter. Sounds like one of those plastic clips broke. Does anyone have experience with this? Where should I start?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Is it loose side to side? or loose front to back?
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

When I fitted my short shifter I noticed that one of my linkage clips where badly worn, cant remember which one it was, I replaced it just for safety sakes. Take you centre console out and do some inspecting, it's quick and is where you should start. I have also had a cerclip breaking on my gearbox, but that caused no gear selection.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

Its loose side to side
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

Good!! (loose side to side) this means the plastic circlip probably fell off and is floating around in the center console under the shifter

Pull the center console out!! (as he stated above) It will take longer to remove the console than it will to actually fix the shifter problem

I'll shoot some pics for you tomorrow (Monday) I'm too lazy to go out and dig out a stock shifter right now.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #6

OK, now I'm pissed. I went to the dealership with the part shown below and they told me "good news the replacement once is adjustable and metal so this won't happen again" Great! So I ordered it $140 bucks +$20 to over night it to the dealership. I picked it up and tried to install it but one of the metal balls that snaps into the piece is to small for the new piece! So I called the dealership and told them they gave me the wrong part and apparently Porsche doesn't carry the 97 linkage anymore, and they suggested that I buy the part that has the larger ball on it, which of course would be a btch to replace. Not to mention why didn't they tell me that? So there's my rant

The replacement part #17
Porsche Boxster Transmission Control Parts

My part