Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #1
PAH

What size spacers?

I have a 2002 Boxster S with 18" Turbo Look I rims, and factory sports suspension.

I'd like to space the wheels out slightly, so they don't look so far tucked under the car, but I don't know what size to go for. Has anyone fitted spacers to these wheels before, and if so do you have any pictures?

I've been thinking along the lines of 15mm front and 21mm rear, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Paul

PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #2

15/21mm spacers

I'll email you more if you'd like, just send me a note at johnleck AT comcast.net

these are 15mm front 21mm rear techart spacers, 7.5" 500mm offset front and 9" 52mm offset (standard boxster s size) wheels.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #3

one more thing

my car's also lowered approx 1" (25mm) from stock. most people who walk up to the car immediately ask "is that a boxster?" or "what different about that car?"...so the lower / wider stance is quite noticeable.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #4

What's the consensus on to space or not to space?

Spacers would make the car look better but everything I have heard in the past about putting on spacers was that it would put extra stress on the wheel bearings and cause the need for more frequent replacements. Everyone running the same spacers or are there a couple of good options out there?
boxstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:19 AM   #5

I've heard 7mm on the front and 15mm on the back is the most you can go without rubbing issues...according to some guys at the BRB board.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #6

no rubbing issues for me...

I had 15mm front and 21mm rear with absolutely no rubbing issues...stock 7.5/9" wheels with 50/52mm offsets, and the car has been lowered an inch as well.
I'm not saying it will work for all setups, but it worked great for me.

It does improve the looks a great deal, IMHO, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The car also handles more confidently with the spacers on (I've run the car without the spacers as well to do some 'apples to apples' comparisons.

It makes sense that there would be more load on the wheel bearings, I guess, but there is no evidence of that on my car after approx 27k miles with these big spacers on.

Mine are techart brand (probably made by someone else though).
Old 07-17-2005, 07:31 AM   #7

How much do spacers cost?

Is there anything that can be done to forestall any potential wheel bearing wear? Better grease? Just guessing.

Last edited by socratic; 07-17-2005 at 07:39 AM.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote