Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #281
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
It's the regular cheap eBay stuff. It's all from alibaba ultimately. Over here it's branded as Toyosport, Topgear, Direnza etc as they place large enough orders to have their label put on or stamped on. Over your side I think this is the same as Topspeed but also resold as various other "brands". Remember only 1 pair of cats for UK and European cars ie no cats in headers. I kept the standard cats which are 400 cell. You call them the rear cats.

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #282
inveniam viam aut faciam

So, I ordered up the '04 Boxster S 550 50th Anniversary SE MAF sensor to throttle body hose, along with the "stopper" that was listed, but not shown in the diagram. The stopper was over $25 and just ended up being a plug for an unused port on the hose. IMO, it is NOT worth it if you want to do the same.

Here are a couple of pictures. In the first I have the 987 airbox, the 987 MAF sensor and 986 SE MAF sensor to throttle body hose. In the second picture I also included the 987 throttle body tee, 987 MAF sensor to tee hose, and tee to AOS tube for comparison. As you can see, I have not yet modified the airbox to fit in the 986 chassis.

While it is possible to use the 987 tee, from testing by another local shop shows that it difficult to install due to interference of the throttle body to oil cooler if clocked as on the 987, and also interference with the engine cover if you clock the throttle body so it does not hit the oil cooler. The tee also does not play nicely with the tuning if you actually connect up the vacuum operated flapper, so you would probably just use the tee without hooking up the flapper.

I plan on installing the airbox with the 986 SE plumbing after doing a baseline dyno test, then repeating the dyno testing after installing the airbox, plumbing and 986 SE tuning. The tuning will only work on an '03 or '04 S as they have the M 7.8 ECU. It is also possible to use these parts on earlier cars with stock (or whatever performance tune you have) if you sleeve the inside of the MAF housing to match the original, and use the MAF element from the original air box.

Last edited by Qmulus; 09-08-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #283
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You need either the 996 plenum or the larger one from Cayman 3.4 if you want to go to the 74mm throttle body at the same time.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #284
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
So, I ordered up the '04 Boxster S 550 50th Anniversary SE MAF sensor to throttle body hose, along with the "stopper" that was listed, but not shown in the diagram.
Qmulus, do you have the part number for the SE Maf to throttle body hose? I am having a hard time finding it and I like the OEM look and may look at using it in my install.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #285
inveniam viam aut faciam

You can find the part number in post 269 by The Radium King, or is it pretty easy to find in the online parts breakdowns. The part number for the "Stopper" is also in one of the later posts by me, but I wouldn't bother getting it. I am sure that you could find something that would fit that is far cheaper than the expensive factory plug.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #286

Finished my 986 to 987 airbox upgrade...pics & instructions

Finished my 986 to 987 airbox and 3.4 throttle body & plenum upgrade. Here's a ton of pics and a write up including part numbers. My car is a 2003 Base Tiptronic but this should work for all 986 models. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

NO NEED TO BEND CLIPS OR TAKE APART TOP OF ENGINE - Easy to do if you have access to a lift & engine jack...

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!
scottmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #287

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

USE AT YTOUR OWN RISK!
Old 10-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #288

Use at your own risk!

Use at your own risk!
Old 10-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #289

Instructions...

Use at your own risk!

Use at your own risk!
Old 11-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #290

Hi, looks like the front engine mount bolts are still on and thus the mount is used as the pivot point. Where do you place the jack to lower the assembly? The differential in the transmission?
Fchotika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #291

jack

Used an engine jack with a wood board to give as much support as possibly to the whole assembly. Only really needed to lower it a couple of inches.

PS: If I didn't post it before - be sure to check the wheel alignment when done with this project.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #292

Garage
Great post, I didn't see how you will reprogram your bigger MAF sensor housing?
Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #293

Nice technique!! Were there any precursors to this sequence? Other items to unbolt prior to starting.

I am surprised that the whole assembly can pivot on the front mount and not interfere with the studs
Old 12-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #294

Garage
Great info, I will put in the 987-box this winter..
However I´m also about to change the front engine mount. Do you think that the same trick (lowering the engine to switch airbox) can be done by lowering the engine in the front while the front engine mount is removed during the switch?

I know, I need to get off my computer and get going in the garage..
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Great post, I didn't see how you will reprogram your bigger MAF sensor housing?
Fabspeed will be doing the reprogramming in the spring.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice technique!! Were there any precursors to this sequence? Other items to unbolt prior to starting.

I am surprised that the whole assembly can pivot on the front mount and not interfere with the studs

They write up was pretty much it. A-Z. Definitely needed to get a wheel alignment after
Old 12-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Great info, I will put in the 987-box this winter..
However I´m also about to change the front engine mount. Do you think that the same trick (lowering the engine to switch airbox) can be done by lowering the engine in the front while the front engine mount is removed during the switch?

I know, I need to get off my computer and get going in the garage..
You can probably do that but then you really need to secure the engine and trans. Why not do the method I used and change the front mount after you put it all back together? Changing the front mount then makes more sense I think.

Last edited by scottmaggie; 12-28-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #298

Has anyone done this to a 2002 Boxster S? I have a question about the tune used.
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #299

For all those who wants to use the 987 MAF housing on the 986 S ...

I have used this reducer which fits after a bit sandpaper exactly in the 987 MAF housing
cutting out a hole for the MAF

https://www.pvc-welt.de/PVC-U-Klebemuffe-ECO

AL107

CGT919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #300

For all those who wants to use the 987 MAF in the 986 you can just implement this into the MAF housing to reduce it safely

AL107

https://www.pvc-welt.de/PVC-U-Klebemuffe-ECO

CGT919 is offline   Reply With Quote