Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #121

Now.. think about ALL those guy's who have bought the IPD plenum setup. They ALL have these parts sitting around (the TB and TB center section)

FYI: This is not new by any means. Porsche did this EXACT same setup in the 986 50Th anniversary car. Granted it was a Variocam Plus engine, but it was still a 3.2.

Something else.. scared of the larger throttle body? The rubber bellows from the MAF housing to the throttle body? They sell two versions. One for this 3.4 throttle body and one for the 2.7 cars (same one they used in the 50th anniversary 3.2 car)

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #122

I think it's a good idea to "help" this area (with a hammer) I didn't, but it would have made it easier to the install the bellows from thew MAF housing to the throttle body. Just a little nudge!! This is were the 86 and 87 chassis differs. They have more room right here.

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Now.. think about ALL those guy's who have bought the IPD plenum setup. They ALL have these parts sitting around (the TB and TB center section)

FYI: This is not new by any means. Porsche did this EXACT same setup in the 986 50Th anniversary car. Granted it was a Variocam Plus engine, but it was still a 3.2.

Something else.. scared of the larger throttle body? The rubber bellows from the MAF housing to the throttle body? They sell two versions. One for this 3.4 throttle body and one for the 2.7 cars (same one they used in the 50th anniversary 3.2 car)

B
As one of the people who has bought the IPD plenum - could you please elaborate on your point. Are you saying I made a bad selection or a good selection?
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #124

I'm referencing the IPD purely from a used parts standpoint

987s owner who bought the IPD will have the throttle body T section (and throttle body) available for sale (since they removed it and installed an IPD)

The 987 3.4 T section allows for the 3.4 throttle body to be installed in this situation for a lot less money!!

Want to go bigger later? Buy the 3.6 T section and install it into the 3.2 plenum, its the same diameter as the 3.4, but allows for the 3.6 throttle body.

Just giving people alternatives

B
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #125

Thank you for the clarification buddy...
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #126

For all you with children you know how difficult this is. I had a about a 2.5 hour window while little Lily was sleeping this morning. So out to the garage with some tools and the baby monitor.

Recap - My motor is a 996 3.4 so not the nice bolt up situation because of the cable throttle body. So I had to do some extra slicing and dicing. Here are the photos so far. This is as far as I got until the baby monitor called me in for sandwich time.

Untouched

Planning my attack

First slice
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #127

More cutting needed. The outer plastic around the main tube had to go, maybe didn't but It sure makes it a bunch easier to work with more space

After the extra was gone

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #128

To catch you up to speed I did some preliminary test fitting. I removed the drivers side intake manifold and the fuel rail was removed also on that side. I probably not need to remove the fuel rail but I did. You will notice in the pictures to come that all the open ports were taped over and filled to keep the crap out while working in there.

After I fit the box in there I test fitted my mass air housing. I am using a bmw housing, talked about elsewhere. So being that is not a direct fit I chopped off the oem connection point on the air box tube and fitted a silicone coupler that was previously used on my IPD piping (for sale now) and secured it with a T-bolt clamp.

before

after
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #129

I did clean up all the edges with the cutting wheel and a file so now they are all pretty. Sorry I didn't take a pic of that. I have not made a a patch piece for the muffler section yet. When I head out today I will pick up some apoxy and use a piece of the cut up box that is readily available right now on the floor of my garage.

In the car

Test fit of the maf. Still needs a clamp on the maf side.

This is where I am at for now. Maybe later on this evening after hours (baby sleeping) I will head back out and put the manifold and fuel rail back in.

Side note:

Anybody know if it is ok to reuse the injector o-rings? There in good shape, they were replaced when I put the motor in. If they are reusable, should I oil/lube them or anything?

Thanks for the info on that.

J

Last edited by JAAY; 03-15-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #130

Nice work Jaay.....suprised you didn't just use the cayman MAF housing as you are a 3.4......unless your tune requires it

Actually they are really pricey so this may just cause and your reasoning
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #131

BMW+Ebay = cheap :O) .. Not that I am trying to do my car cheaply but I have spent enough on this car. These are just the finishing touches right now. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #132

Can you calculate the flow area of the grilled ellipse leaving the box going to the elbow section?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #133

I will measure it for you, gimme a minute.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #134

roughly 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" opening
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #135

Cool even major and minor diameters would be good.....yeah bosh MAF housings on eBay are definitely the way to go
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #136

Do you want other angles ? posted 2 down the sizes.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #137

Hmmm just the outer dia of where you cut off the MAF housing boss....as in what hise size goes over it and seals
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #138

3"I/D About 3 1/16 O/D
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #139

A quick search through the parts catalogue suggests the only difference between a standard 986 and the 550 aniversary is the air cleaner housing and the MAF , the rest of the inlet system , engine and body (save trim parts) remains the same. The 987 MAF is supplied complete with the housing which bolts directly onto the air cleaner , the connecting pipe to the throttle body is standard , there is no reason for it to be different as the TB is the same 68mm unit on the 986 as it is on the 987 3.2. The flexible boot used on the 987 to connect MAF to the throttle body (its located futher back from the inlet manifold due to the split intake plenum after the throttle body) is the same part on the 68mm throttle body as the later 76mm unit found on the 3.4 (it just stretches slightly more). I am therefore surprised that if the 986 and the 550 are essentially the same body, chassis and engine why does the 987 air cleaner need modifying ? Is the 550 shell modified during assembly ?
berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #140

Yes I have been wondering about this for a while ...perhaps there is an early version which has a truncated muffler area. There is a picture in this thread showing a muffler area that appears much more square.

It would probably help to get it in with the engine in place.....Jaay must have every knuckle skinned right about now!

Last edited by jaykay; 03-16-2012 at 07:07 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote