Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #1

chance of failure in 99 engine

Hi,
I am planning on looking at a used boxster for sale around me.It is a 99 with 32000 miles on it.I hear about the engine failures and that concerns me.The car was a special order and delivered to the original owner in April of 2000.What are my risks of failure?
Thanks
Frank

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:39 AM   #2

Very low. The 99s that were defective failed pretty quickly and others were replaced just as quickly.

Of course, when you get your PPI at the Porsche dealer, you can check out the history of the car; the engine may have already been replaced.

Best of luck on the purchase.

PS-

If you have the funds, consider a 2000 Box S.

Worth the extra funds IMHO.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #3

i have a 99 with just over 60k, and it runs like a champ...i rag the **************** out of it every day, and she treats me nice. i am meticulous with upkeep, and she rewards me.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #4

Thanks Murelli and Brucelee.I have been looking around the forum also and it seems like most people say early 99.I would assume that this would be one of the last few cars made with the 99 name and engine if delivered in april of 2000 but I guess their is no way to know how long the engine wha sitting around in the factory before they put it in.Do you guys know of anywhere that sais engine manufacture date?
Thanks
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #5

I do not. Service dept or parts would know if this info exists.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #6

IMHO, get an extended warranty on the engine - and do it NOW! The $48.00/month cost might just save you $12K.

A mechanical inspection won't determine whether or not your engine will fail. I've been chatting with over 20 people who all experienced engine failure with their Boxsters. My '99 Boxster failed 2 weeks ago with only 12,700 miles on it - sitting at a light in traffic. My only saving grace was a 90 day warranty from my dealer or I would have been out $12,000 - $13,000. The common link between all of these is the Intermediate Shaft. I've seen it happen as low as 3,000 miles and as high as 75,000 miles on Boxsters ranging from '97 to '03. Might be happening on the newer ones as well - but the owners might not care since it would still be under warranty.

I love the hell out my Boxster and intend to keep it. But I felt like someone ripped out my insides when I thought I was going to be on the hook for a new engine. Don't let it happen to you. Get the warranty - then enjoy the sweet ride!

Just my opinon.

denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote