Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #21
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
So this can be installed on a 986? I think that was the question that was raised, and I'd be interested to know this as well.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #22

Yes I would be interested to know if one can get this into the engine bay with the engine in??

Last edited by jaykay; 11-22-2011 at 10:27 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #23

Thanks Jax. As I currently have no engine in my car, I'm on the hunt for a used airbox from a 987 to fit in my 986. I prefer the look of stock over the Evo on this one. If I find one, I'll post up some pics on the change out.

Do you have your stock one laying around to sell me?

Last edited by onaFLYer; 11-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #24

Considering most people actually destroy their stock airbox to install any type of aftermarket intake... I highly doubt anyone would have this for sale unless they're in multiple small pieces... lol.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #25

Garage
If you were to install a new 987 airbox, piece parting it will run $1,000+. I'd rather research Ebay, Craig's List and all the Porsche salvage yards for wrecked 987's. I'm sure that 987 airboxes aren't highly sought after parts so they should be plentiful. Just make sure you get all the parts!, snorkel to the throttle body.

As for the question "Will it fit in a 986?". I think the 550 answers that question.

P.S. Fly, I have a 986 airbox.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 11-22-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #26

[QUOTE=Jaxonalden;265345]If you were to install a new 987 airbox, piece parting it will run $1,000+. I'd rather research Ebay, Craig's List and all the Porsche salvage yards for wrecked 987's. I'm sure that 987 airboxes aren't highly sought after parts so they should be plentiful. Just make sure you get all the parts!, snorkel to the throttle body.

I found one on Ebay, cross my fingers that it's all there and in good shape. $250 shipped.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #27

Garage
[QUOTE=onaFLYer;266190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
If you were to install a new 987 airbox, piece parting it will run $1,000+. I'd rather research Ebay, Craig's List and all the Porsche salvage yards for wrecked 987's. I'm sure that 987 airboxes aren't highly sought after parts so they should be plentiful. Just make sure you get all the parts!, snorkel to the throttle body.

I found one on Ebay, cross my fingers that it's all there and in good shape. $250 shipped.
My fingers are crossed also, please let us know how things go.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #28

I would like to add some information to this discussion. I used the stock paper filter for 40K miles. then went to the EVO cone filter for 46K miles. My motor recently died. This WAS NOT due to the air filter. However, during the tear down, the shop noted significant cylinder wall scoring. I always felt that that stupid cone filter was allowing more air and therefore more dirt in. I would suggest using a high quality OEM filter and box. The car is too expensive to fix.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #29

[QUOTE=Jaxonalden;266212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaFLYer View Post

My fingers are crossed also, please let us know how things go.
987 v 986 Air box

Here it is. Had to modify the muffler area of it. This is right behind the tube where the MAF connects.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
Ex Esso kid

Quote:

My personal opinion: Who are you, probably a person with little or no schooling in cars, to buy a $100 intake that "upgrades" the stock intake over the Porsche Engineers that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to make nearly the most perfect design possible for the car? However; they do sound cool.

Porsche engineers have to meet TUV sound standards and other such metrics, after all there is no such thing as a race car that whispers. (electric excluded) As for the de snorkel crowd, I removed the little dip cup that looks like a holy water holder and polished and replaced the trumpet. I've seen that same design all the way back to my dad's 396 SS on the side of the carb cover, my guess is it accelerates the air, I'm going to claim here for the fist time a true +5 at the wheels just for taking the prayer cup off, why not fabspeed would. Oh and regarding the four turns in the airbox, to keep water out maybe?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 12-14-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #31
Certified Boxster Addict

In regards to Porsche engineers, they have a myriad of competing and somewhat contradictory requirements to meet with any design. The key drivers tend to be vehicle safety and other government standards, performance, cost, environmental requirements, manufacturability, ease of assembly, packaging (getting it to fit with/around everything else), durability, emissions, and repairability. Every production design is a compromise in one way or another.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
In regards to Porsche engineers, they have a myriad of competing and somewhat contradictory requirements to meet with any design. The key drivers tend to be vehicle safety and other government standards, performance, cost, environmental requirements, manufacturability, ease of assembly, packaging (getting it to fit with/around everything else), durability, emissions, and repairability. Every production design is a compromise in one way or another.
...like the IMS?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #33
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
...like the IMS?
Based on my years assisting with product development in the fortune 100, I would not be surprised one bit if someone on the m96 design team knew the bearing was a weak point and told them about it in the design phase. One of my favorite managers passed away a few months ago, when asked what he thought of a product Kodak bought from Ilford, he said to company leaders " It's a piece of crap". He was summarily berated, over the next three years Kodak would take a bath on Kodaflex while he quietly laughed. It gave the company a big black eye, I'm sure the M96 has sullied many a Porsche enthusiast, the company made a huge mistake but they are German and arrogant so they don't even return your calls when you phone Atlanta to complain. Porsche, there may be no substitute but poor customer service is a bad mistake in a world of increasing competition. Just Remember Porsche, Kodak laughed their butts off when Poloroid went down, think anyone at EK is laughing this week?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 12-15-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote