Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Another Lowering Spring Thread

I read many of the threads on lowering springs here on 986forum.

But all of them talk about a minimum of 30mm or 1 inch drop.

What about a 20mm=0.78 inch drop lowering springs on a stock suspension?

Would I still need the adjustable toe link to get the alignment right? Would there still be a problem with bump steer?

I ask because there are replacement M030 Springs that I can get for $200 and the M030 Springs drop it by 20mm. I am already happy with the handling. I am just looking for a very "slight drop" for better looks and so that I can still enter my driveway. The M030 springs were designed for a smooth ride at slow speeds and a stiffer ride at higher speeds, which is perfect for me.

I am wondering if there would be problems putting M030 springs on the stock suspension on my Base Boxster 986. On a budget. Does anyone know?

ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I read many of the threads on lowering springs here on 986forum.

But all of them talk about a minimum of 30mm or 1 inch drop.

What about a 20mm=0.78 inch drop lowering springs on a stock suspension?

Would I still need the adjustable toe link to get the alignment right? Would there still be a problem with bump steer?

I ask because there are replacement M030 Springs that I can get for $200 and the M030 Springs drop it by 20mm. I am already happy with the handling. I am just looking for a very "slight drop" for better looks and so that I can still enter my driveway. The M030 springs were designed for a smooth ride at slow speeds and a stiffer ride at higher speeds, which is perfect for me.

I am wondering if there would be problems putting M030 springs on the stock suspension on my Base Boxster 986. On a budget. Does anyone know?
You should have no problem getting your vehicle back into alignment after only lowering it 20 mm . In fact, many of us have lowered our vehicles significantly more without having to resort to adjustable toe links or camber plates . However, there is a consensus of opinion, that changing springs (i.e. spring rates) alone can lead to suspension "droop" over time . For that reason, most choose to install the full M030 kit . Or, they go the route of aftermarket shocks or adjustable coilovers .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-10-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
However, there is a consensus of opinion, that changing springs (i.e. spring rates) alone can lead to suspension "droop" over time .
^^I'm not sure why that would happen.

The M030 suspension is the factory sport version of the suspension. It's a code used on many Porsche models, even though the parts are different. I think what the OP is actually asking about is the RoW M030 suspension, which is lower by 20mm in front and 10mm in back than the US suspension. There are M030 versions for both regions.

If you just replace springs and not struts, there are two issues that I can think of and both are minor:

1. The struts are slightly longer than they need to be and the potential for bottoming the strut is greater. Bottoming a strut can damage it. I don't think this is a big risk considering it's a very minor drop with a corresponding increase in rate. Also the bump stops are still in place to protect from bottoming and are actually the same part between the RoW and US suspensions.

2. The damping of the stock struts, especially worn stock struts would not be sufficient for the increased string rate. Leading to some bouncing. Again, the spring rate difference, while noticeable, probably isn't enough to underdamp the suspension.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
^^I'm not sure why that would happen.

The M030 suspension is the factory sport version of the suspension. It's a code used on many Porsche models, even though the parts are different. I think what the OP is actually asking about is the RoW M030 suspension, which is lower by 20mm in front and 10mm in back than the US suspension. There are M030 versions for both regions.

If you just replace springs and not struts, there are two issues that I can think of and both are minor:

1. The struts are slightly longer than they need to be and the potential for bottoming the strut is greater. Bottoming a strut can damage it. I don't think this is a big risk considering it's a very minor drop with a corresponding increase in rate. Also the bump stops are still in place to protect from bottoming and are actually the same part between the RoW and US suspensions.

2. The damping of the stock struts, especially worn stock struts would not be sufficient for the increased string rate. Leading to some bouncing. Again, the spring rate difference, while noticeable, probably isn't enough to underdamp the suspension.
I've seen several cases, wherein aftermarket springs (ones that were significantly stiffer than the oem's) , took their toll on the oem shocks over time . And, subsequently caused suspension "droop" if not shock failure . I'm not saying that this is always the case, however, it's something that can certainly occur . Now, whether or not the difference in spring rate between the M030 and oem's is significant enough the cause this issue is out of my depth .
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I've seen several cases, wherein aftermarket springs (ones that were significantly stiffer than the oem's) , took their toll on the oem shocks over time . And, subsequently caused suspension "droop" if not shock failure . I'm not saying that this is always the case, however, it's something that can certainly occur . Now, whether or not the difference in spring rate between the M030 and oem's is significant enough the cause this issue is out of my depth .
Hmmm, doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why a stiffer spring would actually damage the strut, stiffer spring, less strut motion unless it's underdamped, but still not that much more motion than a stock spring. And then I can't see why a damaged strut lowers the suspension. 99% of the ride height comes from the spring.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

Garage
Much of the concern is that oem shocks don't have adequate valving/damping capabilities necessary to properly control the increased stiffness that sport lowering springs impose . Although, initially, they may work reasonably well (usually on newer low mileage vehicles), over time they will overburden the oem shocks and cause them to wear out much faster. This is especially true when installed on older vehicles - which most 986 boxster now are . Do some research online and you'll discover numerous tech articles advocating the full M030 system versus just lowering springs .