Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Fitting aftermarket radio

Hi all

Well, I'm looking to fit a Sony radio into my Boxster, was told by guy in shop it would be straight forward plug and play etc, well, it's not

Porsche radio out, have one black connector and one small yellow one, the wiring that came with sony will only take one of the black connectors, I have no where to connect the yellow block into and these appear to be speakers as I'm getting power but no sound, any know if there is a certain harness adapter i need or am i missing something? Obviously I don't really want to slice the wires etc but I will if i have to

Also, do I need to do anything with alarm? It appears there is something fir alarm on the old radio's frame, any ideas?

Thanks all

McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

this is what im dealing with, first pic is porsche loom

Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #3

So, good news, i got it working, with the help of an adapter cable, but, ever since i have done this work, alarm goes off when i open door with key, i have to do this anyway as my fob is faulty, never did this before, is this related?

Also having some trouble with bluetooth handsfree function with radio but doubt anyone knows what problem is with that
Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
On the old radios there was a small area (rear left side of the unit, I think???) that would ground out to a corresponding location in the dash, letting the car know the radio is there. No radio, car panics. I can't remember if it's a piece of wire on the radio and a piece of metal on the car, or vice versa. In any case, trick that part of the car into thinking the radio's still there, and the alarm will stop acting up.

Sorry if that's not my most helpful comment ever, hopefully someone with more experience and a more fully functioning brain can elaborate or better explain. I need to go track down some caffeine.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaid View Post
So, good news, i got it working, with the help of an adapter cable, but, ever since i have done this work, alarm goes off when i open door with key, i have to do this anyway as my fob is faulty, never did this before, is this related?

Also having some trouble with bluetooth handsfree function with radio but doubt anyone knows what problem is with that
I believe this is a standard alarm "feature" -- if you don't put the key in the ignition in 10 seconds or so, the alarm goes off -- I don't think it's related to your radio install, mine behaves the same way, with stock radio when I don't use the a key with the alarm buttons.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
I believe this is a standard alarm "feature" -- if you don't put the key in the ignition in 10 seconds or so, the alarm goes off -- I don't think it's related to your radio install, mine behaves the same way, with stock radio when I don't use the a key with the alarm buttons.
I have not had this happen on mine, ever. It could be something they did as an update, though, since I see your car is much younger.

What year is your car, McQuaid? And does your alarm only go off when opening the car? Does your alarm set when you lock the car with the key?

My sister installed an aftermarket in her Boxster (MY99), and afterward her alarm would go off every once in a while when she wasn't home or in the middle of the night, annoying her and the neighbors. The little metal contact I mentioned was the problem and was overlooked when the install happened. I think they put electrical tape on it, and the car's been fine since.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Mine is a 99, yes, it sets when key locks in door, I don't think it even gives me 10 seconds....there was something on the old radio frame that had what looked like a spade connection and a terminal that grounded off something, I took the spade connection from wiring and grounded it, still no joy, still goes off after a few seconds of opening door
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaid View Post
Mine is a 99, yes, it sets when key locks in door, I don't think it even gives me 10 seconds....there was something on the old radio frame that had what looked like a spade connection and a terminal that grounded off something, I took the spade connection from wiring and grounded it, still no joy, still goes off after a few seconds of opening door
Hi, did you resolve this? I pulled my Cr-220 out last night so I could see the wiring as I am getting ready to replace it. I have pushed it back in 1/3 of the way and get the horn beep on locking every time.

Any photos of the part you are talking about or any info that will help?

Thanks

Simon
ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrytrip1 View Post
Hi, did you resolve this? I pulled my Cr-220 out last night so I could see the wiring as I am getting ready to replace it. I have pushed it back in 1/3 of the way and get the horn beep on locking every time.

Any photos of the part you are talking about or any info that will help?

Thanks

Simon
So right after posting this I took a closer look at the wireing diagram. It showed a brown and blue cable with what looked liked a switch. On the LHS of the radio bay is a contact switch which perhaps opens when the radio is installed. I removed the spade connector from the switch giving a permanent open.

Left the radio out locked the car and no more beep.

Will post again if anything else happens.

Cheers

ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote