Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #1

Amber eradication

Hi all,

My first post...been lurking around for a while and appreciate all the info this board has to offer. I have a new to me 2000S on the way and am interested in updating the amber markers to clear. I know a lot of you guys have done this given the references in posts I've read. However, I haven't been able to find a good thread that outlined the best source and type of markers to buy. I was wondering if you all could suggest:

- Best replacement brand to choose (OEM, someone who makes something similar?).

- Best source to purchase from. I see a lot of stuff on Ebay, but a lot of it looks like "frankenstein" brand.

- Typicall price I should expect for tails, sides, and headlights. Can you do lenses only for headlights, or is that a more substantial upgrade (pardon my ignorance on this one)?

- I am not super-technically inclined. Is this something I can do myself? I am capable of unplugging/plugging wiring harnesses and using a screw driver. What price should I expect a shop to charge for the upgrade.

Also, if anyone can recommend a great shop in LA for services and other misc work, that would be great. I'd like to change the oil immediately once the car lands. I live in the west hollywood area.

savoir-faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #2

I did all three.

the rear: Ebay used OEM $150 saved about $50

the front: went with Litronics(aka HID) $1100 on a Porsche Pete's Boxster Board Group buy with Brandywine. Not too impressed with bang for the buck. This definitely would have been a bottom of the list upgrade. Installation was a piece of cake. The whole unit slides out and in goes the expensive lights. A ball end hex key from Pepboys adjusted the height of the lights and that was it.

Before the Litronics I had a set of Clear Halogens from a 911 (non-Litronic) that I picked up for $500 and the clear corners were $45. Also not cheap but if you sell your amber headlights (the whole unit has to removed) you can get a $100 for them on Ebay, so $400 for clear headlights is bad but not $1100 bad.

The side markers were OEM $30 from Eagleday.com so going aftermarket is not really a good idea for these given the low price.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #3

Perfectlap, Should the OEM cost $150 for the pair on Ebay? Also, do you still have your clear headlights? Interested in parting with them?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:37 PM   #4

I got 996 clear headlights from a wrecked 996 for $300, and was very lucky to get them for that price. Clear sidemarkers were $30. A friend in Germany gave me the clear tail lights.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #5

Try The Speed Gallery in Studio City. They are on Ventura Blvd. near the car wash with the big creepy hand. Great shop, they do excellent work, and they're really down to Earth. www.thespeedgallery.com Talk to Sam.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #6

Bulbs

Thanks for all your help. One more question. Can I use the same bulbs in the new lenses (color, shape, wattage, etc.)? If not, what is my best source for new ones?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 AM   #7

If you're interested, I have a set of clear tails and side markers, new in the original packaging, that I bought then decided not to use. send me a private message if you're interested in them and we can talk price.

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote