Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

is there any way to adjust shift lever wiggle?

I just installed the OEM SSK yesterday in my 986 5spd yesterday. I've always done this mod in each and every one of my sports cars so I knew what to expect. I love the positive feeling of each gear. I was kind of hoping that the kit would reduce the annoying amount of side to side shift lever wiggle when in neutral but it didn't. When in gears everything is tight and great but I just can't stand that loose almost cheap sound and feeling when lever is in neutral. Does anyone know of a way that it can be adjusted and tightened up when the lever in not in gear?

Last edited by lemonmagnet; 10-16-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: needs more info
lemonmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

There isn't any way to do that other than to pull the OEM unit out and replace it with a B&M style, which somewhat reduces the side to side play.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

I think the OEM ssk that I intalled is in fact made by B&M, the lever part at least, and just painted black and stamped as a porsche part. It slightly reduced the side to side play but not by much. Would adjusting the cable on the left help at all?
lemonmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

No, the side to side movement in the shifter gate is a function of the distance between the end of the upper lever and the shifter's center pivot point; the cables have nothing to do with it.

If you have the B&M shifter, it should look like this:

[IMG]http://www.********************************************************************************************/images/product_images/images/b-and-m/b3245135.jpg[/IMG]

The OEM would look like this:

Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Is it just me, or do these two shifters not look anything alike? Why in the world does everyone think B&M makes the OEM ssk?
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Because for a while, they did. The factory short shift kit was built by B&M, but anodized a different color to prevent anyone from knowing it.................