Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #1

Suspension rattle

Hi. I have a 01 Boxster S. I have a sound which only happens when warm from the suspension over bumps which sounds exactly like pool balls coming out of a pool table when you put your money in. (That's the best way I can describe it). I have had all four suspension links replaced with genuine Porsche parts (at some considerable expense) and that made no difference. Last week I had the rear anti roll bar (or sway bar as I believe some people refer to them as) replaced and this seems to have resulted in the noise happening less often (again OE parts) but it is still there. It is really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. Please help - thanks.

goldenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenell View Post
Hi. I have a 01 Boxster S. I have a sound which only happens when warm from the suspension over bumps which sounds exactly like pool balls coming out of a pool table when you put your money in. (That's the best way I can describe it). I have had all four suspension links replaced with genuine Porsche parts (at some considerable expense) and that made no difference. Last week I had the rear anti roll bar (or sway bar as I believe some people refer to them as) replaced and this seems to have resulted in the noise happening less often (again OE parts) but it is still there. It is really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. Please help - thanks.
there are a lot of individual suspension components with bushings and ball joints that could make that noice. I would try to isolate the noise from front or rear first then I would look at the stabilizer mounts as they are called number 5 in the diagram since you mention the noise got better when installing the stabilizer bar.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to take the car back to the gararge yet but I will and let you know how I got on.

goldenell is offline   Reply With Quote