Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Carbon canister question

The fuel tank has a carbon canister connected to it #996.201.221.09. The canister has a shut-off valve # 996.605.201.01. My car had a CEL code for the shut off valve. I have replaced the canister but the shut-off valve was not even attached to the canister and there is no wiring harness to the shut-off valve.

The car is a 97 986. Did this MY come with a shut-off valve or was that added later?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #2

There are two electrically operated valves behind the right headlight mounted to a black plastic box. One of them connects to a pipe to the cannister and the other to a line to the atmosphere. I don't know if you can reach the valves by pulling the headlight but everything is accessible if you pull the fender liner.

I don't know the terminology to say whether those are the shut off valve you are referring to but I think so. I had them apart on my car. The wiring is fool proof in the sense that the plugs are different for the two valves so you can't mix them up.

The Durametric can cycle the valves for testing if you have one.

There is another electrically operated valve in the system back by the throttle body. I think it is called the EVAP valve but I've never been sure about the terminology of all these valves. I think the one at the throttle gets opened by the computer to draw the gas fumes out of the charcoal cannister. It might be interlinked with the other valves by the headlight.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

i have the same situation. Did you ever find anything about that?
Gus969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

I have the code PO447 and she I checked my canister and I have no purge valve or trace of any wire clip either?

Did some years come without the valve?
Gus969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
SPB racer

Garage
My 98 had no secondary breather valves behind the headlight. My 01 996 did. If you are looking for valve issues do not forget that there are others above the fuel tank. The valves above the filler are a combination of a simple one way valve and another one that is opened by removing the fuel cap as I remember. My car has none of these as I removed them and made a permanent open vent to the rear of the car.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

I got a p0447 too and when I took a look, I could not find the valve in th canister either. I also have a 1997.

How did you solve this issue?

placid is offline   Reply With Quote