Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

Which one? Fabspeed or Agency Power Intakes?

Hello everyone.
I have a tough choice between two performance intakes:

Agency Power Intake $330
Fabspeed Intake $375

The Agency Power is much cheaper and the dyno shows that less power is made than claimed.
Agency are claiming 5-8HP increases with 9.4 crank HP when dyno showed 2HP increase.
Fabspeed claims 5-7HP, and the dyno backs it up showing about 6.5HP increase.

Torque increase was about the same for both intakes. 5-6 ft-lbs.
And both include heat shield for intake a.k.a. cooling box.

Does anyone know which one is really the better choice? I just want to make sure I am making the right choice with Fabspeed.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Unless you are doing a series of mods to your motor it will probably run better and turn faster lap times with the stock intake and air filter. JMNSHO but backed by a lot of independent testing including Grassroots Motorsports and Excellence mags.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
Does anyone know which one is really the better choice?
Yeah, the one that came with the car. We get asked about this all the time, yet all the data we have seen say that these things are waste of money......
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
Hello everyone.
I have a tough choice between two performance intakes:

Agency Power Intake $330
Fabspeed Intake $375

The Agency Power is much cheaper and the dyno shows that less power is made than claimed.
Agency are claiming 5-8HP increases with 9.4 crank HP when dyno showed 2HP increase.
Fabspeed claims 5-7HP, and the dyno backs it up showing about 6.5HP increase.

Torque increase was about the same for both intakes. 5-6 ft-lbs.
And both include heat shield for intake a.k.a. cooling box.

Does anyone know which one is really the better choice? I just want to make sure I am making the right choice with Fabspeed.
Six of one , half a dozen of the other . The Fabspeed intake is actually Evolution Motorsport's product. As far as performance is concerned, there are highly polarized views as you can see . I installed the Evo intake on my vehicle, and to be truthful the hp gains were minimal . However, the sound it produced was intoxicating ! An awesome bark at mid range and upper rpm's . The downside is that you have to periodically clean and oil the filter, otherwise it will raise hell with your MAF sensor .
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Yeah, the one that came with the car. We get asked about this all the time, yet all the data we have seen say that these things are waste of money......
What data? Isn't a dyno chart the most definitive data out there? The Dyno's show improvement. I am mostly after the sound and don't expect to feel any power gains.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

We have looked at dyno data, before and after on multiple cars run by independent and credible facilities, not the marketing stuff the purveyors of these systems post on the internet. The gains, if any, were in the range of reproducibility error, and then only at extreme RPM.... The factory intake system is pretty good, the aftermarket intakes added little if anything, other than making your wallet easier to sit on................
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
We have looked at dyno data, before and after on multiple cars run by independent and credible facilities, not the marketing stuff the purveyors of these systems post on the internet. The gains, if any, were in the range of reproducibility error, and then only at extreme RPM.... The factory intake system is pretty good, the aftermarket intakes added little if anything, other than making your wallet easier to sit on................
So your on Pelican parts too. haha. Same answer word for word.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Same question, same answer................
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Stay stock! De-snorkle and add a BMC air filter. nough said...

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
PM96,
Don't take this stuff personally. You asked a direct question and you got honest, frank answers from guys who have been around these cars for a long time. One spends his weekends at the track, the other spends his week days with Boxsters up on the rack. Use this knowledge and experience if you wish. Ultimately it is your car and your dough so put anything on it that fancies you.

Do keep in mind that dyno numbers are one of the simplest things to fudge if you have a vested interest in the outcome.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Carnut

FWIW..... I have a hard time to justify a "performance intake". I looked a long time at the stock setup an I just can't see a significant advantage. The diameter of the intake from the airbox to the throttle body is the same, the airbox is insulated against engine heat. Maybe another filter? Maybe?

There are other cars with excellent air intakes, e.g. A4 1.8T, even tuned and boosted to like 400 hp the stock airbox is so good that people don't change same...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #12

The 03-04 models already have a modified intake design so I'm not sure if it still needs to be de-snorkled like the earlier models.

The whole "CAI" mod were just a fad, after everybody has done that on their car they figured out all it did was made more noise so they all went back to stock airbox.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #13

More noise is a good thing...Evo Hi-Flow on my S and it will stay forever, as I took the stock box out in little pieces.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote