Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

What can cause the window switches not to work?

I've tried researching and debugging this issue on my Boxster for months now. I must have read about 1000 topics, but nothing has 100% the same issue as I am having.

To put it simply:
My windows work, as in, they go up and down when you open the door handles, but that is it. The centre console switches don't work, and the they don't drop when I lower the convertible roof.

More detail:
The drivers door window drops and immediately raises again when I open the outer or the inner door handle. If I hold either handle open, the door continues to stay dropped (1in), until the handle goes back to the original raised state.

The passenger window drops when I open the door, and stays dropped 1in. When I close it, it returns to the normal height. I think this is correct?

The window switches in the centre console do not work at all. I bought a new one to test if it was either switch, but it still doesn't work. When inspecting the old switches, there was a lot of sticky goo under the console. I presume a previous owner spilt something all over the centre console..

The windows do not drop when I open the roof. From research, this seems to be the microswitch where the latch attaches to the windscreen. I don't think this would stop the window switches from working, though.

I'd also like to add that my alarm does not work, at all. I've no idea why. The horn beeps twice when I try to lock it, so I presume it is because it thinks something is open..

Things that I think could be causing it:
  • Microswitch on the outer door handle
  • Microswitch on the inner door handle
  • Microswitch in the door lock mechanism
However, from research, these all only seem to link to the window staying lowered when the door is open. I've seen nothing about power window switches not working.

So, does anyone know WTF is going on?

I've read a lot about the window regulator causing issues, but could it be an issue considering the windows still "work" (you know, drop sometimes)?

It is also very strange that neither switch works...

Is there anything I can do to test if power is getting to the motor, or something? Maybe using a multi-meter? I have the Bentley Manual, but I am struggling to understand the electrical diagrams.

I hope someone on here can help me with this! I don't want to give in and bring it to a shop/dealer!

Thanks!

rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

honestly i dont think that it is a microswitch issue only becasue my window goes up and down regardless if the switchs are active or not.

IE: pull inside handle, window rolls up and down
outside the same.

Its not the regulator- because that is a mechanical device that either works crappy or not at all if broken. UNLESS you hear the motor working and window not rolling down.

I would look more to the motor. especially the connection at the motor and the wires that lead there.

Take the motor off of the regulator and see if it works up and down. if not then

unplug the motor. using a multimeter tool you should be able to see if the switch is working and sending a signal to the motor to roll the window down.

also look at the window button. May be broken. rare that both go out.
Also rare that both motors go out, or both microswitches, or both regulators, or both.... you get the point.

Look for something that affects both windows operations at once.

Also I dare say that It could be the ignition switch. That thing is known to mess up all sorts of electrical stuff that makes no sence at all.
For 12$, you can eleminate that as a choice.
Also weird that your alarm thinks that something is open. only becasue having something open will not affect the window operation. Unless your alarm brain got wet (under the seat) and has brain damage or something.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 08-10-2011 at 07:00 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

Honestly why would you waste 2 months trying to figure out why something's not working when you could drop it off at the dealer/mechanic and have it working properly in 2 days or less? My time, and probably yours, is worth FAR more than playing with something like that for 2 months. Will they work with the key in the door (left to open, right to close)? Pedro's answers are usually spot on. If he's baffled, you need greater help. I don't know the electrical system on these (and don't care to) but maybe the window switches operate on a different fuse than the door handles? Try the key in the door turned all the way to the left and see if they open.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 08-18-2011 at 05:08 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
honestly i dont think that it is a microswitch issue only becasue my window goes up and down regardless if the switchs are active or not.

IE: pull inside handle, window rolls up and down
outside the same.

Its not the regulator- because that is a mechanical device that either works crappy or not at all if broken. UNLESS you hear the motor working and window not rolling down.

I would look more to the motor. especially the connection at the motor and the wires that lead there.

Take the motor off of the regulator and see if it works up and down. if not then

unplug the motor. using a multimeter tool you should be able to see if the switch is working and sending a signal to the motor to roll the window down.

also look at the window button. May be broken. rare that both go out.
Also rare that both motors go out, or both microswitches, or both regulators, or both.... you get the point.

Look for something that affects both windows operations at once.

Also I dare say that It could be the ignition switch. That thing is known to mess up all sorts of electrical stuff that makes no sence at all.
For 12$, you can eleminate that as a choice.
Also weird that your alarm thinks that something is open. only becasue having something open will not affect the window operation. Unless your alarm brain got wet (under the seat) and has brain damage or something.
It isn't the ignition switch. Already tried that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Honestly why would you waste 2 months trying to figure out why something's not working when you could drop it off at the dealer/mechanic and have it working properly in 2 days or less? My time, and probably yours, is worth FAR more than playing with something like that for 2 months. Will they work with the key in the door (left to open, right to close)? Pedro's answers are usually spot on. If he's baffled, you need greater help. I don't know the electrical system on these (and don't care to) but maybe the window switches operate on a different fuse than the door handles? Try the key in the door turned all the way to the left and see if they open.
Tell me about it. It is going to a mechanic next week to get a general look over and this will be one of things that will be diagnosed (hopefully).

I didn't know about the key window opening thingy, so I'll try that shortly, thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Try the key in the door turned all the way to the left and see if they open.
Nope, no such luck.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
you really need to get a scan tool hooked up and check for electrical/computer faults...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote