Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Pat

Putting in new engine mount and it's 1" off to the side. Now what?

I'm replacing my original 986 front engine mount with the 987 part. I have it up in there above the coolant hoses, the engine is dropped three inches, but the four holes (the upper two of which are technically just slots) simply don't line up. The mount seems to be 1" offset to the side from the holes in the engine. Vertically things line up fairly well, but I can't figure out how to get the engine or mount to move sideways to line the holes up. I've loosened all the nuts/bolts/studs to get as much play as possible and I'm still off by an inch. Not sure what's going on, or how to get it lined up again. Any ideas?
Maybe put the car in gear and hope that moves the engine? Probably not the best idea, but it's the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

It sounds like the motor shifted over when you lowered it. What kind of jack is it sitting on? Can you just push it over till it lines up?

I did my front mount today, too. I used a scissor jack to lower the engine. It was about a 1/4 inch out when I raised it and pushing on it till it moved solved the problem.

You didn't put the crib bolts in first did you? Attach the mount to the engine, and then the crib to the body. Then when you push it over you can seee the holes line up.

If you haven't looked at Pedro's tutorial, then you really should.

Last edited by Mark_T; 07-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Pat

Thanks for the response, Mark. I'm not sure of the name of the jack style, but it is not a scissor jack. I didn't even think to try pushing the jack with the motor on it. I'm skeptical that would work, as I don't think I could get enough force on the jack. But hell, at this point I'm happy to try anything. I've cleaned up for the day, but might go give it a shot tomorrow.
I did use Pedro's tutorial, and it was quite helpful.
We did put the crib studs back in loosely. I'll take those out, then try rolling the jack with the engine on it.
Thanks again for the help. I'll report back when I give that a shot.
Anyone else have ideas?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

When you put the 4 studs back into the frame, be sure you torque the studs BEFORE you put the nuts on the studs. The studs have to be torqued to 48? ft-pounds. If you don't torque then first, you will pull them out when you attach the nuts. Neither Pedro's not Pelican instructions make this clear.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Pat

Oooh, I torqued the studs to 34. I did loosen them back up when I started having problems, but that's good to know once I do get things lined up. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Pat

Used a strap with a ratchet to pull the engine over an inch. Not completely done with the job yet, but it looks like that's the answer.