Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #1

performance chip

i have recently installed a chip from next level performance. they claim that it gives up to 20 hp gain, but to be honest i hardly noticed a difference in power. i contacted them and they said that the gains wont be noticed immediately, but after a few hundred miles.
a friend of mine suggested that the chip will work best with a remaped ecu, but nobody does ecu remapping where i live, so that will mean taking the ecu out, posting it with fedex then waiting for it to come back and installing it all on my own. im worried that if i do this an engine light might come on.
does anyone else have any experience with performance chips?
and also, will changing the injectors help perhaps?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster
i have recently installed a chip from next level performance. they claim that it gives up to 20 hp gain, but to be honest i hardly noticed a difference in power. i contacted them and they said that the gains wont be noticed immediately, but after a few hundred miles.
a friend of mine suggested that the chip will work best with a remaped ecu, but nobody does ecu remapping where i live, so that will mean taking the ecu out, posting it with fedex then waiting for it to come back and installing it all on my own. im worried that if i do this an engine light might come on.
does anyone else have any experience with performance chips?
and also, will changing the injectors help perhaps?
The word "chip" has become a thing of the past with regard to ecu programing . Current day ecu re-mapping involves creating a software file that is uploaded through the vehicle's OBD port. A good programer, like FVD/Brombacher, will take into consideration all of the modifications that have been made to the vehicle, and "write" the program accordingly.
JD
p.s. Even under the best of circumstances, one should only expect to gain a modest blip in power (5 to 8 hp) and fuel efficiency . Whoever is telling you that their "chip" will give you an additional 20 hp, either needs to start taking some medication, or as the case might be, get off theirs .
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

You may find some ideas

here.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/itisn%27tfastenough

But in short, chipping is the last thing you do after you have done all the other mods and is best done at a shop that dynos and road tests and makes changes until they have it right.
mikefocke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

i think i'd rather not mess about with it, thing is, i think with some decent tweaks the boxster has much more to offer than it actually does!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster
i think i'd rather not mess about with it, thing is, i think with some decent tweaks the boxster has much more to offer than it actually does!
The Boxster does have a lot more to offer... just not from the motor. These cars are all about the corners, not the straight lines. Big gains can be found with the right tire choices and fine tuning the spacer between the seat and steering wheel.

Last edited by Topless; 07-20-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #6

well, i sure dont drive it like a slouch and i do get a great buzz with it in corners.
as you said,you can really feel the rigidity of the chasis and precise steering with these cars in corners. its just a shame its no match for a 911 in the straights
Old 07-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #7

But then the Boxster was never intended

to be as fast as the 911 lest Boxster sales cannibalize 911 sales. Market positioning. Just look at the list prices.

Which is not to say you can't drop one of the more potent 911 motors into a Boxster with some work and cash and then you can run with the big boys in the corners and out of them.

Experienced Boxster drivers can carry more speed through the corner so they are going faster coming out which means they have a lead to lose before they dive into the next corner and again emerge ahead. More fun to drive better for less.

mikefocke is online now   Reply With Quote