Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

A/C thinks it's -40 outside

My A/C isn't working and it has not been hot enough to notice or care so far. I still want to get it fixed however.

I plugged in my handy-dandy Durametric tool and went through the system. No Fault codes and everything seemed normal. The compressor is not kicking on and is listed as 'Inoperable' by the system. Under the data section I noticed that the Input Air Temperature is shown as -40F. I read that under freezing the ECU shuts down the compressor to prevent damage. Is this true?

I think failure may be coincided with my install of a Dension 500. I took out the radio and climate control unit upon install. So Yesterday I pulled it back apart and looked for broken wires or plugs knocked loose. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. It looks like I need to pull the glove box to get to the sensor itself so I have not had a chance to test it.

Anyone else had this problem? I read on one forum that it was a bad wire. Am I chasing my tail? Could the failure not be the sensor but a control unit? I have not reset the ECU by pulling the battery recently although when I did the radio the battery did die from having the doors open for so long.

Any input on what else to check? What should the refrigerant pressure be with the compressor off?

Thanks again!

2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote