Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness

There's no element of money involved . That would be illegal .

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #82
Current Cars

Ordered mine today! Cant wait til it comes in! Ill post after its installed
Neekk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #83

Looks good. I'm not an exhaust mechanic but I have had custom exhausts done on other vehicles and it seems as though 2 mufflers and a little pipe welded on by an exhaust dude shouldn't be more than that $350???
Old 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #84

Garage
Hello from Red Square !
Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #85
Porscheectomy

Porsche tax not withstanding, you get what you pay for. "Custom" exhausts that are a bunch of standard tube sections welded together to fit in the car as they go won't really do much for performance.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #86

Here is another video of the same exhaust:

Porsche Boxster 986 stainless steel sport exhaust M2 Performance - YouTube
lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #87

Sorry if I am resurrecting a relatively old thread, but I am also interested in these Charlie Chan exhausts. (I like the nod to CC from Get Smart, btw Johnny Danger).
Has anyone done a full exhaust system, from headers to tail pipe? My car isn't here yet ( http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49460-i-joined-club.html ) so I haven't a chance to get under the car and look, but Ive read there are 2 sets of cats? I know you can delete the second set, but are there hi flow cats available for CC (Charlie Chan) set up?
Also (not to be confused with Ahso), does anyone have video/sound clip of full CC set up with headers and such?
Thanks
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #88

EVOMIND,

For the 2000 model year Porsche equipped US models with two catalytic converters per side (four total). The additional cats were called warm-up catalytic converters.

I have a 1999 Boxster (only two catalytic converters) and I have a muffler system I purchased off Ebay.

I really don't think there is a difference in the Ebay mufflers for 1997-1999 Boxsters and 2000-2004 Boxsters.

I paid about $300.00 for mine (including shipping) and a muffler shop installed it in about an hour. The only issue was that the mechanic had to wait for the OEM exhaust system to cool down before taking it off.

The Ebay muffler sounds great, it weighs considerably less than the factory muffler and my rear trunk doesn't get as scorching hot as it used to. A win, win in my opinion.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
EVOMIND,

For the 2000 model year Porsche equipped US models with two catalytic converters per side (four total). The additional cats were called warm-up catalytic converters.

I have a 1999 Boxster (only two catalytic converters) and I have a muffler system I purchased off Ebay.

I really don't think there is a difference in the Ebay mufflers for 1997-1999 Boxsters and 2000-2004 Boxsters.

I paid about $300.00 for mine (including shipping) and a muffler shop installed it in about an hour. The only issue was that the mechanic had to wait for the OEM exhaust system to cool down before taking it off.

The Ebay muffler sounds great, it weighs considerably less than the factory muffler and my rear trunk doesn't get as scorching hot as it used to. A win, win in my opinion.

MNC-I
Mine is also a 99. Im not worried abt the cat back so much, enough ppl have commented here and provided clips, Im more interested if anyone has done the cheap header install also and what they experienced with a full setup of these parts.
Thanks for the input!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #90

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Mine is also a 99. Im not worried abt the cat back so much, enough ppl have commented here and provided clips, Im more interested if anyone has done the cheap header install also and what they experienced with a full setup of these parts.
Thanks for the input!
The word cheap and headers should never be used in the same sentence. Aside from better sound, a slight increase in power and more importantly a significant reduction in weight, the catback plays a less crucial role in the overall scheme of upgrading of one's exhaust system. When one starts to get into the issue of aftermarket headers and cats, it requires a much more methodical approach than simply purchasing components off of eBay. In short, there's no easy or inexpensive way to improve upon the oem header/pre-cat set-up without sourcing high quality headers and cats. Keeping the vehicle OBDII compliant is also another concern and altogether different discussion.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The word cheap and headers should never be used in the same sentence. Aside from better sound, a slight increase in power and more importantly a significant reduction in weight, the catback plays a less crucial role in the overall scheme of upgrading of one's exhaust system. When one starts to get into the issue of aftermarket headers and cats, it requires a much more methodical approach than simply purchasing components off of eBay. In short, there's no easy or inexpensive way to improve upon the oem header/pre-cat set-up without sourcing high quality headers and cats. Keeping the vehicle OBDII compliant is also another concern and altogether different discussion.
Believe it or not Im better versed at modding cars than I show here, but most of the cars Ive built or modded were between 70-100k. I can justify a 4k exhaust system on a car that costs that much. Im not going to spend 4k for an exhaust on a 12k dollar street car regardless of the badge.
I don't care if the welds crack in 4-5 years, I don't care if the 2k dollar headers produce 12hp and the CC produce 5 or 6.
When you say there isn't an easy way to improve on the stock headers unless buying the expensive tuner shop headers can you tell me why? Inlet/outlet sizes too big/small? Is there a restriction in the CC header design that prevents flow in the upper rpms?
Back to my original question, does anyone have real experience with the CC headers and if so, what? Im sure there are people here who have installed them regardless of the stigma. lol
Maybe someone can tell me they have used them and feel like the car picked up a little after install, maybe they will tell me theyre junk, I don't know, that's why Im asking.
Its only a 2.5, Im not looking for miracles here, as long as it doesn't hurt performance and enhances the sound Im happy. Anything extra is a bonus.
That said, im sure the stock cats are a bigger restriction than the stock or CC headers could ever be, hence why I asked abt the cats.
Remember, the tuner shops have to make money too and Ill bet their shop rent and mortgage on their house is bigger than CC's overhead.
Again, Ive paid A LOT of money to tuner shops over the years, I understand you generally get what you pay for, but a Porsche boxster is hardly exclusive. There are a lot of them out there and I cant see paying what they want for these little, abundant headers.
Besides all that BS above, Im short of funds these days so its CC or nothing on my Boxster.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #92

Garage
Quote:
Believe it or not Im better versed at modding cars than I show here, but most of the cars Ive built or modded were between 70-100k. I can justify a 4k exhaust system on a car that costs that much. Im not going to spend 4k for an exhaust on a 12k dollar street car regardless of the badge.
I don't care if the welds crack in 4-5 years, I don't care if the 2k dollar headers produce 12hp and the CC produce 5 or 6.
When you say there isn't an easy way to improve on the stock headers unless buying the expensive tuner shop headers can you tell me why? Inlet/outlet sizes too big/small? Is there a restriction in the CC header design that prevents flow in the upper rpms?
Back to my original question, does anyone have real experience with the CC headers and if so, what? Im sure there are people here who have installed them regardless of the stigma. lol
Maybe someone can tell me they have used them and feel like the car picked up a little after install, maybe they will tell me theyre junk, I don't know, that's why Im asking.
Its only a 2.5, Im not looking for miracles here, as long as it doesn't hurt performance and enhances the sound Im happy. Anything extra is a bonus.
That said, im sure the stock cats are a bigger restriction than the stock or CC headers could ever be, hence why I asked abt the cats.
Remember, the tuner shops have to make money too and Ill bet their shop rent and mortgage on their house is bigger than CC's overhead.
Again, Ive paid A LOT of money to tuner shops over the years, I understand you generally get what you pay for, but a Porsche boxster is hardly exclusive. There are a lot of them out there and I cant see paying what they want for these little, abundant headers.
Besides all that BS above, Im short of funds these days so its CC or nothing on my Boxster.
For starters, poor quality and cracking, less than optimal size primaries, and loss of catalytic converters are juts some of the problems you'll encounter with the Pu Pu platter headers. How are you going to get around the issue of having no cats, emissions compliance and CEL's ? Just trying to help.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
For starters, poor quality and cracking, less than optimal size primaries, and loss of catalytic converters are juts some of the problems you'll encounter with the Pu Pu platter headers. How are you going to get around the issue of having no cats, emissions compliance and CEL's ? Just trying to help.
C'mon, you can weld cats in, simple, or clamp. I imagine its easiest to put them right after the headers. I don't know, how did the guys who have done it and are running it do it?
I KNOW people on this board have done it, hence Im looking for their feed back.

Do we know what optimum size primaries should be?

Im actually not that worried about cracking as the welds looked pretty good in the pics.
I don't understand the whole "the sky is falling and many babies will die" over asking for real first hand experience with kung pao headers.
That's all Im doing is asking those that have done it who have first hand knowledge with them.
I know nobody wanted to try the pu pu platter cat back. Im sure they were told the system would rust in about 6 months, the muffler would blow out, itll sound like Pu Pu, er I mean crap, and it will damage your engine, and the drone will drive you to batsville. That wasn't the case but the pro tuners were still taking peoples 1500 dollars for a better system indeed. The question is how much better?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #94

Garage
Quote:
C'mon, you can weld cats in, simple, or clamp. I imagine its easiest to put them right after the headers. I don't know, how did the guys who have done it and are running it do it?
I KNOW people on this board have done it, hence Im looking for their feed back.

Do we know what optimum size primaries should be?

Im actually not that worried about cracking as the welds looked pretty good in the pics.
I don't understand the whole "the sky is falling and many babies will die" over asking for real first hand experience with kung pao headers.
That's all Im doing is asking those that have done it who have first hand knowledge with them.
I know nobody wanted to try the pu pu platter cat back. Im sure they were told the system would rust in about 6 months, the muffler would blow out, itll sound like Pu Pu, er I mean crap, and it will damage your engine, and the drone will drive you to batsville. That wasn't the case but the pro tuners were still taking peoples 1500 dollars for a better system indeed. The question is how much better?
Based on my experience optimal size primaries range between 2.00 to 2.25 from the flange straight through to the merge collector. As far as cats are concerned, the oem pre/cats are 400 cell, and if the secondaries share the same part as a 996, they can be as high as 600 cell. Unless you plan on sourcing set of high quality, low cell cats like HJS or Emetec (plan on spending big, big bucks), there's no sense in trying to reinvent the oem set-up.

With regard to the Charlie Chan muffler, understand that I was the one who first discovered it, and later passed the info onto the forum. It's decent design, especially for the money, and to date no one has reported any major problems to speak of.

I have a custom 9ff catback on my vehicle with almost 3.00 inlets and even larger outlets. The sound is ripping, and there's not a hint of drone at any rpm. That said, you get what you pay for.

In any case, I spent extensive time researching and experimenting with different types exhaust components and configurations, to include a catless system. before arriving at my current set-up. I'm happy to pass my advice and experience along to those who are interested in hearing it.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #95

though Im not arguing with you, I consider this a discussion, a discussion where I am disadvantaged as I don't even have my car yet and I haven't crawled under one to examine the stock setup and placement. Nor have I held a 1200 dollar set of headers in my hands or even the cheapos, so I cant speak from experience there either.
I can say that the CC headers are 2.25 inch inlet and a 2 inches at the collector.
Im not sure if the greater efficiency of the 3 inch cat back is utilized when the header outlet or collector is 2 inches. Not sure if the 2.5L engine pushes that much exhaust in the first place. Heck I had 500hp Mustang with a 3 inch cat back and I know the 2.5 isn't pushing that kind of exhaust.
I don't know that's why Im asking. With all due respect, unless you know about fitment issues, or have knowledge of someone running the CC headers on the dyno I put forth that you really don't KNOW if they are crappy and dont make power. That's my point.
As far as the cats Im sure the placement will be abt the same as any of the other after market headers, as the CC headers were probably copied from one of the tuners like the cat back probably was.
Hey you might be 100% correct, but I still want to hear from folks who have actually installed them and judging from a few of the PMs Ive been sent I know who a couple are and I know theyre out there.
Look, if it can flow just a little better in the upper rev range Id be happy. If there are fitment issues I wouldn't be happy.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #96

It's a just a pipe. Whether it is made by Pu Pu or Golden Jack, it will remain a pipe and doing the same thing - exhaust. Nothing super high tech.... just good and bad marketing!

The small diameter (incl cats), the higher backpressure = low revs added power

The bigger diameter (incl cats cells, or no cats), the lower backpressure or restrictions = mid and high rev added power. However loss of low rev power.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #97

Evomind....
Notwithstanding what JD says (and I remember him going through the same hoops as you a few years ago so yes he did do his homework), I can give you my impressions of the CC (Delubozparts) headers & cat delete pipes - though it's a little different for us with ROW specs with no cats fitted in the factory headers. Plus mine is a 2001 S model with the 3.2 engine with more torque than your 2.5 engine, so if you do move the power band or lose torque by fitting bigger diameter pipes, you will notice the difference very quickly with your smaller engine.
I've had my mods fitted for 2 years and as yet no problems, no cracks, no broken clips or bolts.

1) Che at Delubozparts was very good answering my questions - parts arrived well packed and visual quality seemed good when package opened. Two screw in plugs were missing, but Che posted replacements off immediately. Weight was approx same as the factory headers (remember no cats) so should be lighter than yours.

2) I had no problems removing the original header bolts, but some people have had nightmares with rusted bolts snapping off in the heads but mine were fine. The headers fitted well, but if I were to do it again I would open up the bolt holes slightly to allow a little more movement when fitting the final bolts. You cannot fit the plastic undertray back as the headers are lower than standard.

3) I fitted the headers to the standard system first without the cat delete pipes. Initial impression was a slight loss of low down torque below 3,000 rpm, but an increase in power above 4,000 rpm - much as what Nine8Six commented on above. Sound level was normal up to 4,000 rpm then exhaust note hardend above that.

4) Fitted the cat delete pipes ~1000 km later after welding in threaded boss's for the sensors. Fitting was not too difficult but one pipe is longer than the other so don't go cutting before you check first. Weight loss was approx 3-4 kg from the standard cat pipes.
Immediate impressions were good, with the low down torque now returned plus another little little increase in power above the 4,000 rpm threshhold. The biggest difference is in the sound - a very slight increase in db's around town but above 3,500 rpm it starts to sound really hard - quite addictive. These mods are fitted to the standard rear muffler - no way will I drive a car which has the dreaded drone of most (cheap) rear mufflers.
Seat of the pants is about 10 bhp increase (subjective I know), but certainly more than the increase the UDP gave me.
Bang for the bucks is good (even including for postage to Australia) as Che had the parts on special and I did the install myself. Given the choice I would cetainly buy them again, but I wouldn't purchase the rear mufflers after listening to a Boxster on a local Porsche Club run - how the driver and passenger conversed or how their eardrums took the noise is a mystery to me.....
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #98

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Evomind....
Notwithstanding what JD says (and I remember him going through the same hoops as you a few years ago so yes he did do his homework), I can give you my impressions of the CC (Delubozparts) headers & cat delete pipes - though it's a little different for us with ROW specs with no cats fitted in the factory headers. Plus mine is a 2001 S model with the 3.2 engine with more torque than your 2.5 engine, so if you do move the power band or lose torque by fitting bigger diameter pipes, you will notice the difference very quickly with your smaller engine.
I've had my mods fitted for 2 years and as yet no problems, no cracks, no broken clips or bolts.

1) Che at Delubozparts was very good answering my questions - parts arrived well packed and visual quality seemed good when package opened. Two screw in plugs were missing, but Che posted replacements off immediately. Weight was approx same as the factory headers (remember no cats) so should be lighter than yours.

2) I had no problems removing the original header bolts, but some people have had nightmares with rusted bolts snapping off in the heads but mine were fine. The headers fitted well, but if I were to do it again I would open up the bolt holes slightly to allow a little more movement when fitting the final bolts. You cannot fit the plastic undertray back as the headers are lower than standard.

3) I fitted the headers to the standard system first without the cat delete pipes. Initial impression was a slight loss of low down torque below 3,000 rpm, but an increase in power above 4,000 rpm - much as what Nine8Six commented on above. Sound level was normal up to 4,000 rpm then exhaust note hardend above that.

4) Fitted the cat delete pipes ~1000 km later after welding in threaded boss's for the sensors. Fitting was not too difficult but one pipe is longer than the other so don't go cutting before you check first. Weight loss was approx 3-4 kg from the standard cat pipes.
Immediate impressions were good, with the low down torque now returned plus another little little increase in power above the 4,000 rpm threshhold. The biggest difference is in the sound - a very slight increase in db's around town but above 3,500 rpm it starts to sound really hard - quite addictive. These mods are fitted to the standard rear muffler - no way will I drive a car which has the dreaded drone of most (cheap) rear mufflers.
Seat of the pants is about 10 bhp increase (subjective I know), but certainly more than the increase the UDP gave me.
Bang for the bucks is good (even including for postage to Australia) as Che had the parts on special and I did the install myself. Given the choice I would cetainly buy them again, but I wouldn't purchase the rear mufflers after listening to a Boxster on a local Porsche Club run - how the driver and passenger conversed or how their eardrums took the noise is a mystery to me.....
ST,
I don't disagree with your approach, nor the results of your upgrades. My advice to the OP simply was - adding headers (regardless of who or where they're made) in conjunction with the very restrictive cats on a 2.5. - would be fruitless in terms of increased power or performance. Going catless as we both agree - results in a very noticeable loss of low end torque. In addition, since this is a North American vehicle, going catless would further complicate the process by virtue of our OBDII compliance/emissions requirements.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #99

Agreed.... as I said in my first paragraph, fitting larger diameter pipes / headers will move the powerband and / or lose the torque, which will be very noticable with the 2.5 l engine.

But as you well know, most people who fit these "upgrades" do it for the soundtrack more than anything else...... er that would be me then??
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #100

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Agreed.... as I said in my first paragraph, fitting larger diameter pipes / headers will move the powerband and / or lose the torque, which will be very noticable with the 2.5 l engine.

But as you well know, most people who fit these "upgrades" do it for the soundtrack more than anything else...... er that would be me then??
Why do you need a "soundtrack", when you have the Jonny Danger Action Suite CD !