Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

99 Fuel Problem

Hello All, first post.

I am having trouble with my wife's 99 Boxster. I has about 125k miles and we have owned it trouble free for about 1 year.

Last night it died with running out of fuel symptoms with a 1/4 tank. I put a few gallons in but still no luck.

After searching on the forums most of the afternoon, I finally located the fuel filter. I disconnected the fuel line from the front and tried to turn it over, no fuel delivery at that point. Not sure where the pump is. (a pic would be great help, google searches turn up nothing) Before or after the filter, does it push the fuel or pull it, most are in the tank, if that's the case then it pushes fuel thru the filter, right?

Google searches for 1999 Porsche Boxster fuel pump turn up a lot of pics for the relay, is this a common problem?

A few things i noticed and tried. It died on an on ramp which had a slight incline, after rolling it down the ramp to a safe and flat area it did restart for about 1 second. I Also checked the fuel pump fuse but not the relay not sure how to or where it is.

Any help or troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated, no matter how basic

charz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

the fuel pump in the tank its self. Take off the union nut, pull off the sending unit. Careful not to damage the sealing ring. or worse - drop it in the tank.

Its the big round thing with an impeller attached to sending unit.

about 330$ for part.

After it is dry of fuel. hook it up to a 12 volt supply and see if it runs, if so then it is the relay.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Can I test the pump in the car? If so which wires/pins do I supply 12v and ground to? There are 4, a large grn/wht and large brn on each end and a smaller prpl one and brn one in between.

I saw the Pelican DIY for the fuel pump replacement with the info for jumpering the relay but the picture and written instructions were different. The instruction said jump pins 30 and 87, but the picture shows 85 and 86 jumpered.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump/images_large/Pic2.jpg

Doesn't matter, I tried both but never heard the pump

Also, when i removed the cover under the battery, i noticed that there were 3 smaller wires intentionally cut. I think they go to the pressure sensor maybe? Either way I haven't noticed anything while driving, not sure what they are for.

Thanks
charz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

To bypass the fuel pump relay connect number 30 to number 87 on the fuel pump relay. Use a paper towel roll to your ear to hear if it is working.

From your post, it sounds like the pump is dead.
You can remove the pump and dry it off. Hook it up to 12 V and see if it runs.
pretty strait forward.
***you will need a new rubber O-ring if you open the tank***

Dont mess with the gas tank unless you plan on replaceing the unit. Electricity and fuel dont mix well. trying to jump the pump here can result in you blowing your self up. 2 wires go to the pump, two go to the sending unit.

There is also debate, but you may have to reset the sending unit if you mess with it. You need the computer from the dealer to do that.

You did check the fuses right?

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 06-20-2011 at 06:46 PM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote