Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #41

Wink YellowBox............................

Well, that bass doesn't vibrate the whole chassis if that is what u mean. You will hear it most definitely at cruising btwn that RPM if you are trying to climb any slight steep and need some throttle without gearing down, usually you would gear down anyway. The bass sound (ex-audiophile/stereo freak) is much like that droning in your ears but not thought your body. Hard to explain unless u have heard it first hand. Also on video, it doesn't give a true sense of how loud the resonance really is btwn 2K-2800 RPM. Doesn't bother me anyone as I love the sound. My plan B was not to get rid of it and have to pay another $300 CAD to have it removed but to take Yellowbox (see previous links on this board) and tape up the 2 cannisters with Exhaust Wrap. He said it reduced the resonance by 1/2. So that is big. But then if you do not have, will have to get the Rear Diffusor to cover up the cannisters (not the tips) as their beautiful chrome look will now be covered by exhuast wrap which looks like a band aid color. I am not going to do this now as I am used to the sound. It also seems to have lessened slightly and am told it will tone down after 1000 kms/625 miles and also get even deeper/throatier. Can't imagine. Can't wait.

Hope this helps. Tough decision, for a hate it or love it part of the car. I love it. Just listen to the sound clips. There is a PSE one posted on here as well if you didn't see that one and then form your own opinion of what you want in the sound of your Boxster. Remember, this is a 10/10 rated on a scale for sound loudlness and the badest boy out of all of them. I can vouch for this. I will also give it 10/10 for quality and quality of sound. Again, no backpressure burbles when I idle and rev her up to 5K RPM. Smooth. Not rattles either or vibrations on the tips or in the cannisters as I have heard from so many others. Take it from the ex-audiophile who is very picky with sound and has heard many Ferrari's, Lotus's etc. Hey, here is a clip of the some Ferrari's and this will give you an idea of the sound I was looking for and hence the decision on the GHL, but again it is all Porsche.

http://testshoot.com/Ferrari/

WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #42

Talking GHL in coparison with the sound on this.............

Ferrari 355 taking off. The GHL is lower and more lower bass growl. Let's say meaner. Similar to the Ferrari 355 I witnessed and have a clip of (file too big) with an aftermarket Tubi Exhaust on it. Again the sound exceeded my expectations. SO for those brave enough as my friend said it, to take on this GHL exhaust, please post your feedback after you have reveed it and had someone film it as you are taking off.

http://testshoot.com/Ferrari/

Willie B
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #43

If the GHL is close to that 355 sound, I'll definitely get it rather than the PSE!
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #44

Does anyone have a TechArt exhaust?
They're $1500 or so. I think I remember reading on the website that they have the valve that puts the exhaust through the mufflers until 4,000rpm, then it opens to a straight through exhaust. It seems like this would help greatly with resonance a lower rpms, plus for the wives out there who drive our cars, they won't complain about how loud the exhaust is.
Rainforest01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #45

resonance with Dansk sports exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
I had the PSE before I switched to the Dansk unit. I would say the Dansk unit was a noticeably louder than the PSE, not similar
I am thinking of getting the Danks sports exhaust with the super sound tips but have noticed some negative feedback on resonance.

Would anyone who has one of these like to comment. Is this really a problem with the Danks exhaust.

thanks
Nifty9000
nifty9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty9000
I am thinking of getting the Danks sports exhaust with the super sound tips but have noticed some negative feedback on resonance.

Would anyone who has one of these like to comment. Is this really a problem with the Danks exhaust.

thanks
Nifty9000
Yes, I've the Dansk exhaust. Resonance is bad at about 2,500rpm. But I guess you'll get used to it eventually... I got used to it after a while....
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #47

I say why even screw with muffler. You gain no hp and if you ask me the car is about right sound wise from the factory. I'm thinking headers and highflow cats from Dasnk + stock exhaust will give a nice hp gain plus no res?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #48

Does anyone have the PSE for the 2003 2004 Boxsters?

or even a sound clip.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #49

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1703&st=0&#entry7595
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #50

Toolpants,

Thanks for the link. Did that guy ever get the sound files posted?

I am planning on getting the PSE for MY2004 at end of the summer, and I guess I will pull that same little jumper.

I didn't consider other exhaust because I like my sport tip.

Thanks again.

05 S - looking...
Old 07-29-2005, 08:52 PM   #51

Well I just registered at Renntech....and found the clips

Thanks again Toolpants, you da man.

05 S - looking...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #52

what about tech art or Gembella?

showboat33 is offline   Reply With Quote