Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #21

Hey guys, thanks for everyone's input on what exhaust to get for 986. But after reading all the posts, I realize this is really all about personal taste, as there's no one exhaust that fits the bill for everyone. I like the sound of GHL too, but the resonance at 3k rpm seems to be the major drawback. PSE seems only a "little" step up. So I guess this will just be a never ending discussion topic

yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbox
The Exhaust topic has been discussed numerous times on this and various other chat rooms. So, for about $1,200 USD, is Porsche's PSE the best bet for an upgraded sound? I don't need HP increase, just pure sound improvement without HP loss.

So let's finalize this exhausting exhaust question once and for all. Dansk, Fabspeed, GHL, Supersprint, B&B, or good old Porsche Sports Exhaust for my 2002 Base Boxster?

Thanks for your input.
Well there is Borla as well. They used my car to design it. They have a loud one and a quieter one.
doclaw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 AM   #23

Thumbs up Porsche Sports Exhaust

Have a listen. This muffler sounds nice without being LOUD!!!
http://www.essentialstyling.com/tequipment_exhaust_video.htm
blk986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #24

Hey Tech986Art and otherz.............................

Sorry for the late reply,

re: price on the GHL, best I found is Velocity Factor on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7981343159&category=38634&sspagename=WDVW

http://www.velocityfactor.net/scripts/default.asp

Just got it today and can't wait. Hope this helps.

Almost was going to be your Gineau Pig on the Supersprint as there is a dealer here, but last minute decided no to Supersprint due to vids from a Mini Cooper and a BMW M3 with one on and sounded a little too close to rice rocket to me. GHL sounded meaner and this is what I wanted. IMHO.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieB
Sorry for the late reply,

re: price on the GHL, best I found is Velocity Factor on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7981343159&category=38634&sspagename=WDVW

http://www.velocityfactor.net/scripts/default.asp

Just got it today and can't wait. Hope this helps.

Almost was going to be your Gineau Pig on the Supersprint as there is a dealer here, but last minute decided no to Supersprint due to vids from a Mini Cooper and a BMW M3 with one on and sounded a little too close to rice rocket to me. GHL sounded meaner and this is what I wanted. IMHO.

Keep us updated on how GHL sounds and if resonance is a big problem or not.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #26

Talking Exhaust Clips.....................................

This is all of my research. Plus all of the feedback from this forum and PPBB. I went with the GHL and am getting it installed tomorrow. Hope this will help otherz make their own decision about what works for them.

GHL:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031203001643/www.trentcarter.com/BoxsterVideos.asp

http://www.yellowboxster.com/video.html

Supersprint:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/09/28/the_mini_cooper_supersprint_exhaust

http://www.s14.net/exhaust/video.html

Billiy Boat (BB):

http://www.bbtriflo.com/B&BMain.htm

Fabspeed:

http://www.fabspeed.com/

SpeedArt: One of my favorites but expensive. Can buy thru GMP Performance

http://www.speedart.de/en/program/exhaust_sound/porsche_boxster/index.html
Old 06-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #27

Smile Will do YellowBox.............

It seems resonance is really just how much you can tolerate if any. Subjective topic. I love hearing Ferraris and Lambos just blast off and the sweet symphonic sound echoing as you are pulling away. So I think the GHL will be the one for me. If anyone gets a Supersprint, please post a video as it was my original choice. My vids won't do the Supersprint justice as it wasn't on a Boxster. But noteably 2 German made vehicles nonetheless. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:11 AM   #28
Lux

The Supersprint did sound kind of lame on the M3. Keep in mind that the cars were E30 M3's which have 4 cylinder engines (hence the ricey sound). What's shocking was that the other exhausts sounded even worse than stock.

BTW, I didn't realize the GHL's were dual polished cans. They look sweet.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #29

Quote:
It seems resonance is really just how much you can tolerate if any. Subjective topic. I love hearing Ferraris and Lambos just blast off and the sweet symphonic sound echoing as you are pulling away. So I think the GHL will be the one for me. If anyone gets a Supersprint, please post a video as it was my original choice. My vids won't do the Supersprint justice as it wasn't on a Boxster. But noteably 2 German made vehicles nonetheless. Thanks.

By the way, is yours Base or S? Should the GHL exhaust be identical for both Base and S?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #30

Willie:

Congratulations!! GHL is far the best sounded exhaust out of all those clips, excellent choice! I am right behind you on getting the GHLs for my self. Please give us a quick review once you get a chance.

BTW, thanks for all the clips and the ebay link.

Kevin
TECH986ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 PM   #31

Talking Hey Yellowbox & Tech986Art....Report on the GHL...

Yellowbox, I have a Base 2.5L with and Evo High Flow Intake. The GHL you will get from Velocity Factor is the same for Base and S. I also verified with the guys at GHL by phone. It is not an exact fit as Yellowbox, on your vids (if that is you) you had to modify and create mounts to make it fit. My mechanic had a welder and machinist make all of the parts and they were perfect. She is solid.

Review: Be prepared as it is no word of a lie, at 2K - 3K RPM while in low gear, when you are cruising and needing just a bit of throttle in low gear, it resonates like crazy (low bassy sound) unless you try to keep it under 2K RPM or above 3K RPM. Even top down it is quite loud. I can however have a conversation with my wife at the same time & it did not drown out my stereo (stock factory amp). But will I get rid of it and go for stock? No!! It sounds wicked when on full throttle and revving at idle with no resonance at idle. From launch and running it thru the gears at speed no resonance as she sings a sweet symphonic sound working together with the Evo to produce music to my ears. It does sound F-1 Schumacher going through underpasses. You also do not notice at WOT how loud she is singing until you have another car beside you and the sound deflects off of it or an wall etc. I also notice she pulls through the revs stronger & cleaner than ever before. Def a HP gain. Take my word, this Exhaust is definitely, "Non-Rice!" No pun intended against ricers, it was just never my thing.

This is not an exhaust for the faint. My Boxster is a Sunday driver/garage queen for short cruises. But for those that use it as a daily driver for a long commute or cross country, it may not be for you. You may want a PSE or gamble and be the Ginea Pig and go with a Supersprint. I saw the PSE vid clip in our thread here and it is that vibrating sound I did not want while revving. It does sound great as well. GHL does not do that or have the semi-stalling feature from back pressure you saw with the Supersprint Mini Cooper. Not saying the Supersprint doesn't sound good as no one has made any claims about it on a Boxster.

Story: My wife was driving behind my Box in our other car on my way to get the install done. I pulled away hard and fast with the Evo Intake wailing as I hit 4K RPM+. I asked her later if she could hear it from behind and in the distance and she said no. Now with the GHL, I am quite sure she will be able to hear it as the intake is internal to the cockpit and the exhaust sound is rear external. It sounds different in the car while I was revving it and while she was listening in the back. Alot louder in the behind. ie) Like a Ferrari/Muscle Car taking off, but it is all Porsche!! This is my description of the sound. Overall: Sound=10/10; Resonance=3/10 (Only at 2K - 3K cruising; WOT - none) Look = 10/10 (Almost Murcielago with 2 chrome 5" straight pipes sticking out of the ass).

Tips: Get a mechanic who does alot of mufflers for tuners who can fabricate a quality mounts. I would swear his mounts were straight from GHL. GHL shld have mounts like these made and sent with the exhaust - the only downside to the product in addition to the resonance at 2 - 3K RPM.

Last edited by WillieB; 06-24-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #32

WilleB - Great Report!

I'm glad you like it. So is the sound very similar to those on yellowboxster's website? (btw, that's not my site, I'm just another yellowbox!) I guess the resonance is gone once RPM exceed 3k, even just a tad above, in any of the 5 gears, right?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #33

Talking Yellowbox..................the sound...........

is a bit different than Yellowbox's video as I believe his video does not do it justice. His exhaust might not be as tightly fitted as he made his own mounts. My mounts were fabricated by a machinist and welder, who made them for my mechanic during install. 2-3 hrs install. It sounds more like Trent Carters as he has the Evo Intake and the GHL combined like I have (see GHL vids on this thread). Makes a difference it seems on the 2.5L.

My wife filmed another vid of me revving it and then taking off down the street. Upon reviewing the sound, it is more than I hoped for....................I would say Ferrari 355 like, but in a Porsche Boxster. In comparison, I thought my neighbors 2005 G35 Coupe sounded sweet before, but when I heard him take off on hard throttle today, it was pale in comparison to the sound of my GHL. From the inside of the car it is decieving as like I said before it is quieter inside which is a good thing. But anyone in your rear will def. feel the wrath of it. It sounds so sweet. I also passed a parked Honda and set off the alarm in first gear. And I wasn't even hard on the throttle. You can even hear it hum on approach. Yes, I have gotten the hang of keeping the gears either below 2K RPM or above 2800 RPM as this is the huge resonance range. Also the resonance bugged me less 2nd and 3rd time drives. I guess it was just intial shock. But after the video shot from the outside, I am sold as this is the sound I wanted. Powerful, throaty, low growl, Ferrari like with the echos. Again, if you hang around 2K - 2800 RPM then you will hear the resonance. If you hammer it on WOT from 1st through to 5th (or 6th) it is beautiful.

Before the exhaust with the Evo High Flow intake, the deeper sound was at 4K RPM +. Now at range she will growl. So on take off 1K - 4K it is mostly GHL exhaust, then at 4 K and up, combo Evo Intake and GHL. Beautiful. The car also pulls clean earlier and also later in the RPM range. I know this is a subjective topic, but if you are like me and always enjoyed hearing a Ferrari or a Lambo let it rip and love the echo of the exhaust from 1st, shift to 2nd, and 3rd etc. 3 blocks away, then this is the one for you.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #34

Glad you like the exhaust. It sounds like the one to get if you want an aggressive sound from the back. FYI: Be sure not to lug the engine in an attempt to keep the the resonance low. Porsche says keep it above 1.5K rpm.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #35

Thumbs up Thanks Adam...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Glad you like the exhaust. It sounds like the one to get if you want an aggressive sound from the back. FYI: Be sure not to lug the engine in an attempt to keep the the resonance low. Porsche says keep it above 1.5K rpm.
Will do on the keeping it above 1500 RPM. I didn't know this. Then maybe I will use more gas and keep it above 2800 RPM.

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #36

WillieB, so it's really "Ferrari 355 like"? I don't remember now a 355 sounded, but for sure a 360, which I've heard many times.

Maybe I should get the GHL exhaust, if I don't like it, I guess I can always sell it on ebay and recover some $.

For sure GHL has no torque loss, right? I want to make sure no power is loss
Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #37

Talking Yellowbox......................

Well Is shld say Mean Porsche like sound. Hmm, 360 Modena, don't know about that, this is a nice low growl. A growl no ricer I have ever heard has. Too bad my video is too big, you can hear it echo between the houses and I didn't even take it past 4K RPM in first gear. Word of advice, as long as you can deal with or drive between the resonance btwn 2K - 2800 RPM, you will be fine. Do your self a favor if you do get one, make sure you have someone take a video(s) of you taking off with the GHL on. Trust me, you will be surprised.

WB
Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #38

does the rear bumper need to be removed in order to install an aftermarket muffler?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #39

Adam..................

no the bumper does not have to be removed. I think the main piece that needs to be fabricated is one the goes across the top of the GHL exhaust with holes to mount the two bolts. Then you need a mount that will tie it together with the bracket (or make a new one) onto the transmission/frame. You will see this if you look under the car. I couldn't have done a better job than this guy but I don't have access to a machinist and welder that i know.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Well Is shld say Mean Porsche like sound. Hmm, 360 Modena, don't know about that, this is a nice low growl. A growl no ricer I have ever heard has. Too bad my video is too big, you can hear it echo between the houses and I didn't even take it past 4K RPM in first gear. Word of advice, as long as you can deal with or drive between the resonance btwn 2K - 2800 RPM, you will be fine. Do your self a favor if you do get one, make sure you have someone take a video(s) of you taking off with the GHL on. Trust me, you will be surprised.

WB

I usually drive above 3k rpm, only worry is cruising on fwy at 5th when I want to take it easy. I really hope the resonance isn't that bad, I mean, you can't physically feel the bass like resonance, right? Just a loud low bass sound, right?