Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

1997 soft top replacement!

Hey all!

Been a while since i've been on....just been busy enjoying the cali coast roads sunshine .

I want to replace the fabric top on my 1997 986. Its not in bad shape, but the rear window is foggy and has a crack starting. Is the swap pretty straight forward? I found a write-up online that makes it seem relatively easy.

I remember something about the 1997 tops being different...that you cant just replace the rag top?? Every website that sells tops for my vehicle doesn't give any reason for me to believe that the top cant be easily replaced without buying new mechanics. Please chime in...id like to purchase a top and do a full install, write-up, this coming week for the forum.

anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Garage
anti-bling:
Not sure if you are looking for a glass window or just a newer/clear plastic window, but I think it is a fair amount of work to get the canvas on and off and fitting nice and tight when you're done. I think Mike Focke's website has links to instructions.
If you are staying with a plastic window, you can probably find a shop that will sew a new window in for you. I had that done 2 summers ago, and the window still looks great. This Spring I found a 2004 OEM top with the glass window and swapped out the entire frame/top assembly. It was amazingly easy to do in a couple hours.
I have the 2002 OEM frame/top with the newer plastic window sitting in my garage that I would sell for $600 plus shipping. I have a custom made box that my 2004 top came in, so packaging would be easy. PM me for pics if interested.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #3

sooo....i take it the 97 requires no additional parts or work. Also, Pm sent.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Garage
Pics sent. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

Garage
anti-bling:
Tried to send emails twice and they were rejected both times. Please verify email address or PM a different email address if you can.
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

I ended up buying a complete new top. No write-up to come. My old top is in amazingly nice condition...just has a small 1" crack on right side of plastic window. Its for sale on these forums for 300.00 if anyone is interested...comes with all mechanics, canvas, window etc...ready to bolt on and use.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #7

Where did you buy the top assembly/canvas? Was it new?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Where did you buy the top assembly/canvas? Was it new?
Bought a used one from a member on here for a great deal. Has a new window and canvas is pristine...he only chaged due to the fact he got a great deal on a glass window