Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Grinding Noise- Possibly E-Brake or Rear Wheel bearing

I have a 2000 Boxster S with 61K on it. So far, so good and this is my 4th driving season with it. Tonight, out of nowhere, I start to get a noise from my left rear wheel. It's like a grinding, dragging, clacking noise. I pulled over to look at it, and northing is interfering with the wheel. I removed the wheel and there's nothing in the dust shield. I'm guessing it's the shoes in the E-brake. I pulled on the CV shaft and noticed no wierd features there- the boots are fine. Has anyone run into E-brake or wheel bearing issues?

parisij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Garage
Yes, I had to replace the rear bearing (driver's side) on my 2001 about two years ago. I have read on this site, and other sites, owners having to replace rear bearings. Best described as a grinding noise that increases in frequency as speed increases... It's very annoying.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

I believe the book says 3 hours for the bearing change. A good tech can do it in 2. So see if your indie will do that.

1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote