Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25
Sub Enclosure.. DONE!!

I just finish my Subwoofer Enclosure yesterday.. 2 weeks of dust, and its finally ready to be covered!!! Anyone out there know where to buy some oem matching carpet??

__________________
99 Boxster 2.5 / Arctic Silver / 19's / 996 Front Bumper
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...100_0144-1.jpg
"Porsche.. There is no substitute.."
Box on 19's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25
If anyone was wondering what it looked like..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
__________________
99 Boxster 2.5 / Arctic Silver / 19's / 996 Front Bumper
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...100_0144-1.jpg
"Porsche.. There is no substitute.."
Box on 19's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
I don't understand why people do things this way. You just destroyed a considerable amount of passenger footwell space. There is PLENTY of room up over the tunnel to build the box into to gain sufficient volume, and then you get the added benefit of having the sub fire into the cabin at an angle, effectively corner loading it.

Have a look at my previous install, which you can find several pics of on this forum, in my Boxster to get an idea of what is a better way of doing things.
__________________
Boxster S
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25
My enclosure is about 3.5" deep and angled.. I'm 5'10 and I can strech my legs out and I barley touch it.. So I'd have to disagree with your comment about "destroying footwell space".. There's obviously more than one way to mount a sub in our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
I don't understand why people do things this way. You just destroyed a considerable amount of passenger footwell space. There is PLENTY of room up over the tunnel to build the box into to gain sufficient volume, and then you get the added benefit of having the sub fire into the cabin at an angle, effectively corner loading it.

Have a look at my previous install, which you can find several pics of on this forum, in my Boxster to get an idea of what is a better way of doing things.
__________________
99 Boxster 2.5 / Arctic Silver / 19's / 996 Front Bumper
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...100_0144-1.jpg
"Porsche.. There is no substitute.."
Box on 19's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 156


Good idea, I like mine. I did this about two years ago.
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: edmonton,alberta,canada
Posts: 104
Garage
@ box on 19
I got my fabric from the usual fabric outlet stores
the bigger the store the better so that u can color match

@ cloudsurfer
ur pics don't show up would u repost to ur post
Broken link/ huge domain something
so that we may see??

This is my next project and comparing options
thanks gentlemen

Cheers
Chris
__________________
Living one calculated risk @ a time
chris97boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25
Your carpet is pretty close. The pic I posted makes it look like its taking up alot more room than is does. I found this Sliverknit porsche carpet on ebay. Do you know what yours is called???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97boxster
@ box on 19
I got my fabric from the usual fabric outlet stores
the bigger the store the better so that u can color match

@ cloudsurfer
ur pics don't show up would u repost to ur post
Broken link/ huge domain something
so that we may see??

This is my next project and comparing options
thanks gentlemen

Cheers
Chris
__________________
99 Boxster 2.5 / Arctic Silver / 19's / 996 Front Bumper
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...100_0144-1.jpg
"Porsche.. There is no substitute.."
Box on 19's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: edmonton,alberta,canada
Posts: 104
Garage
@ box on 19
when I did my sub enclousure on my crew cab
I bought the material from a fabric store
they had 3 similiar colors
all different shades of grey/black

For carpet...well a wrecker would have the exact match
if u could find same year of car

When I do the boxster I will have to get grey or black
depending where I put it
that's why I would like to see cloudsurfers placement
out of sight = equals sleeper stock look

Chris
__________________
Living one calculated risk @ a time

Last edited by chris97boxster; 05-24-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added
chris97boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Registered User
 
landrovered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, Georgia
Posts: 1,012
Garage
[rant] Why does the spelling and grammar always devolve whenever the subject of stereo enhancement comes up. "Ur", "U", and E. E. Cummings capitalization and punctuation really bugs me. [/rant]

That being said, I am in basic agreement that a sub woofer in the footwell is not my first choice. I would rather have it behind the passenger seat where it is out of sight, if you have a soft top.

I plan on removing my soft top and installing a hard top this winter. I am building a speaker box that will sit under the clam shell and have both a sub woofer and rear speakers in it. The Porsche sound system is front heavy in my opinion and this will balance it out.
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6L, Zeintop
"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
[rant] Why does the spelling and grammar always devolve whenever the subject of stereo enhancement comes up. "Ur", "U", and E. E. Cummings capitalization and punctuation really bugs me. [/rant]

That being said, I am in basic agreement that a sub woofer in the footwell is not my first choice. I would rather have it behind the passenger seat where it is out of sight, if you have a soft top.

I plan on removing my soft top and installing a hard top this winter. I am building a speaker box that will sit under the clam shell and have both a sub woofer and rear speakers in it. The Porsche sound system is front heavy in my opinion and this will balance it out.
Regarding the English, or lack thereof, that is constantly displayed by the rest of my generation, I find it appalling that the bulk of our society does not know when to use the correct form of "there," "their," or "they're," nevermind the netspeak versions of works like "ur," "u," and "4" or the fact that no one seems to understand when something as simple as a period or comma are appropriate.

Now, regarding the subwoofer. There is PLENTY of room to mould the box up over the tunnel, such that the box can protrude far less into the footwell, angled to corner load it, while also giving it more volume. See attached pic.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Boxster S
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page