Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #1

NJ Inspection Failure

I have a 2003 Boxster with no known issues. I went to the state inspection facility the other day and the car failed. All of the OBDII system readiness tests came back "Unsupported". I have never heard of this. As a backdrop, the car sat without being driven for 10 days as I was on vacation and I drove it for 10 minutes from my house to the inspection center. There was no line so I was waved right in.

Any insight is appreciated.

isthatacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #2

Garage
Sounds like you just need to drive it more prior to going to the inspection. Be sure the engine is fully warmed up before you get there.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hi isthatacop,

Welcome to the forum.

Is this your first time trying to get the car inspected?

The first time I tried to get mine inspected in NC the inspector told me they couldn't get their computer to communicate with the car. They never told me if they received an "unsupported" (or other) message. They said they've seen this problem on other cars and it may be a fuse, and that they could look at it for a fee. I told them no thanks; I would look at it myself and bring it back. I called my local Porsche dealership and they told me they sometimes experience this and the problem is usually not properly (forcefully enough) connecting the cable to the car. I went back to the same inspection station and told them what I found and they were able to get it to work. I've been going to the same place for 6 or 7 years now without a problem.

I hope it is something simple like this for you as well.

Best of luck,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback!

I figured it was an error on their part. I had the car inspected two other times at this facility with no issues.

Incompetence is extremely annoying...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

I had non-communication issues with my '06 also, and was told by the dealer that it's a software update issue that NJ refuses to correct. My local dealer took it thru inspection for me with no charge.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
[QUOTE=isthatacop] I had the car inspected two other times at this facility with no issues.
QUOTE]

Since they've been able to communicate with your car previously, I don't think you are experiencing the same problem that I had. Maybe it is the same or something similar to what stephen wilson reported below.

Let us know what you find once you get it sorted.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

Did you recently disconnect the battery, or was the battery "jumped"? If so you'll need to drive it 50 miles or so where the OBDII takes time to acquire its data (EGR, O2, etc..). This recently happened to me, but on a chevy truck. It's a fairly common thing at inspection stations.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

^ What he said. If you lost power to the ECU/BCM/whatever the computer in a Boxster is referred to as, you have to complete a drive cycle before OBDII emissions readiness. Since the drive cycle varies, wait a few days...

...or buy an OBD-II scanner that will tell you if you're emissions ready. Life without a scanner sucks - the peace of mind immediately KNOWING why your check engine light just flickered on is worth the $50 or so the scanner will cost you.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Garage
Check the pins on the OBDII connector, sometimes they get pushed in and make bad contact with the connector on the cable. Had that once.
The other problem I had was with the drive cycle after disconnecting the battery for a month while being away. Both problems with a Saab, btw.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #10

Thanks all for the advice...

Just an update - I own an OBDII scanner and connected it prior to inspection. The system was ready, no codes, and emissions had a "green light". After the failure, I reset it, drove for 250 miles, and it showed readiness again.

I then took it back to inspection.

They gave me the exact same read-out of "Unsupported"... I have never been so pissed. The longer I live, the more I realize government agencies are a complete waste of our tax dollars. Not one individual was able to help...
I spoke with a manager - who was the most useless piece of trash - and got nowhere. He said I have to call the hotline and request a bypass. And I also have to get a printout from Porsche in Generic Mode showing the system is fine.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is Porsche going to charge for this??

Last edited by Brucelee; 07-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #11

Have you tried contacting your local dealer yet?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #12

This just happened Saturday. My dealership's service dept has VW/Audi/Porsche and I have a friend in the Audi service dept. He was going to run it past the service guys at Porsche to get their feedback.

I wanted to post it here as well.

My dealership may not be as friendly as yours was...!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #13

I don't know if they were being friendly, or just trying to earn my busimess! I managed a free airbag light reset at another dealer by letting them think I would come back for scheduled service.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #14

Finally an update on this situation...

I was forced to take it to a private inspection facility as the state could not inspect the car. I took it to my Porsche dealership and they said there was no issue with the car. Their wording was "Car performing as designed". Unfortunately without any printout the state would not accept the statement from Porsche.

At the private facility, it took them 3 days to obtain the inspection. The state of NJ gave the mechanic issue after issue. I have to admit that the mechanic was hands down the most professional and decent I've ever met. Finally, the state rpovided an "exception" and passed the car.

This is some nonsense as the car did not require any "exception". I hope others don't experience the same thing. If they do not correct their software we should be up in arms over the hassle of the EPA (Environmental Public ****************************s). Not only did I waste 2 days to go to the inpection station, I spent another day at Porsche, and waited 3 days for the state. Completely uncalled for.

Last edited by Brucelee; 07-12-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #15

Lets keep the language clean folks!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote