Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Garage
Bad MAF Sensor ?

I've been dealing with a cel issue for the past few months while my vehicle has been in storage. The code that is coming up is P0102. Today, I removed and inspected the MAF sensor and observed that it wasn't dirty at all . Nevertheless, I thoroughly cleaned it just the same . Shorty after reinstalling it, and resetting the cel by removing the negative battery terminal ect... the cel came back on . Is it possible that the sensor could be bad despite the fact it didn't show any signs of contamination ? Any thoughts ?

JD
p.s. Prior to checking the MAF, I removed the air intake filter and thoroughly cleaned it .

Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I've been dealing with a cel issue for the past few months while my vehicle has been in storage. The code that is coming up is P0102. Today, I removed and inspected the MAF sensor and observed that it wasn't dirty at all . Nevertheless, I thoroughly cleaned it just the same . Shorty after reinstalling it, and resetting the cel by removing the negative battery terminal ect... the cel came back on . Is it possible that the sensor could be bad despite the fact it didn't show any signs of contamination ? Any thoughts ?

JD
p.s. Prior to checking the MAF, I removed the air intake filter and thoroughly cleaned it .
Yes it could be a bad MAF. other thing beside the one you addressed is the plug might be loose? broken or shorted wire? DME could be bad but rare. Try leaving the battery cable off for a much longer time such as an hour then drive it and see if you get another light. the code is saying that the voltage is much lower than expected from the maf which is air flow.... try unpluging the maf and drive it if there is no difference you might have a bad maf .
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #3

I am in a similar situation with my MAF (minus the cel) and I am not sure what to do. I tried cleaning it to no avail. I am still getting a rough idle and no cel. I am thinking that I will have to order a new one. I would like to avoid doing that if possible but if it has happened to others and is the best solution I will have to.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #4

Quote:

JD
That sounds like when my MAF fAiled. Then my car died on the bay bridge. Replaced it and it's been running great for 20k.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #5

Garage
I have been dealing with what I think is a bad MAF also. I too have cleaned it a couple of times each time the cleaning interval gets shorter. It obviously is only a stopgap measure. Johnny, do you know if running a bad MAF could foul spark plugs? Maybe if left unchecked.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
I have been dealing with what I think is a bad MAF also. I too have cleaned it a couple of times each time the cleaning interval gets shorter. It obviously is only a stopgap measure. Johnny, do you know if running a bad MAF could foul spark plugs? Maybe if left unchecked.

My vehicle has 18k original miles, and its been kept in stellar working order. So, I can't imagine that I have fouled plugs, a bad DME or anything like that . It's possible that I may have a bad wire or connection somewhere (although nothing stands out during a visual inspection), but I would find it hard to believe that its anything major . I just wish that I could pinpoint whether or not its precisely the MAF sensor before I shell out $200-300 for a replacement . Again, when I removed it yesterday for inspection, it was as clean as a whistle ?????
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

Johnny I just ordered a MAF and a EVO air intake from vertex auto. I will let you know when I put it in and if it fixes the problem. They have the best prices I have found on MAF's and EVO intakes believe it or not. But that is just what I have found.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
Johnny I just ordered a MAF and a EVO air intake from vertex auto. I will let you know when I put it in and if it fixes the problem. They have the best prices I have found on MAF's and EVO intakes believe it or not. But that is just what I have found.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Please do . In the meantime, I'll continue to have nightmares about a cheap sensor that I bought on Ebay chasing me through the desert along side a naked indian chief .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 05-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

Is there anyone around you that you could convince to let you borrow their MAF? Just to see if that solves the problem. Also junk yards pick-ur-part places could have it much cheaper.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 05-11-2011 at 06:28 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Also... all Boxster MAF sensors are not the same. If you have an e-gas car but you installed a non e-gas MAF, it wouldn't work. Re- check your part #s.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #11

Garage
I'm tempted to give this one a try . It's an aftermarket knock-off as opposed to a refurbished or remanufactured part .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360328580569&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_1932wt_1167
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
I'm tempted to give this one a try . It's an aftermarket knock-off as opposed to a refurbished or remanufactured part .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360328580569&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_1932wt_1167
Hmmmm,
Judging from their careful [cough] description it won't work on any Boxster ever made (no such thing as a 97 with e-gas). Might want to go with a real OEM part instead and fix the problem.

Here is a site with a guide to choose the right part for your car that will work the first time:
http://store.gospecracing.com/massairflowsensor-1-1.aspx
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #13

while that particular ebay seller may not have his facts precisely straight, I would not be scared to order one of these from ebay. After all, a MAF sensor is an incredibly simple basic part and should not cost 200+ dollars. I am sure the 90$ ebay parts will work great. In fact, I am going to buy one.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstew
while that particular ebay seller may not have his facts precisely straight, I would not be scared to order one of these from ebay. After all, a MAF sensor is an incredibly simple basic part and should not cost 200+ dollars. I am sure the 90$ ebay parts will work great. In fact, I am going to buy one.

You should checkout this thread .
CEL/Maf Cured