Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

Evap Canister

Does anyone know where the Evap Canister is located on '99 Boxster? I got an error code P0446 and was told to replace the canister and it should fix the problem. I use my OBDII to clear it every two months or on days when it rains heavy I get the CEL with this error code.
If anyone can tell me exactly where this evap canister is located I would greatly appreciate it. I was told that it was behind the passeger side front wheel wall behind the radiator, but had know luck finding it. Since I had the front wheel and front bumper off I decided to remove the radiator covers and ended up cleaning both of my radiators. Thanks in advance for help

Last edited by ArticBoxster; 04-13-2011 at 09:28 PM.
ArticBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
P0446 pops up on my car about once every two years. I clear it and it doesn't return for a long time. Maybe just a fluke error code.

Further diagnosis is suggested if it returns promptly. I believe Mike Focke has a diagram of the possible issues on his website. As I recall it could be:
*loose or failed gas cap
*vacuum line leak
* failed check valve
* failed canister
* failed vacuum actuator or fuse

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #3

Like Topless, this code comes up intermittently, around once a year.

'98 2.5L

It maybe pending but I haven't checked my pending codes in quite some time. Would this problem cause any start up issues?
Rui725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
SPB racer

Garage
In answer to the original question. It is located directly below the filler behind the wheel well liner at the rear of the passenger side front tire.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #5

Evap canister removal

Thanks Jittsl for informing me where the evap canister is located. I was able to disconnect all the tubes and one bolt that was visable to remove it, but could not figure out what was holding the evap on to the back side. I did not want to break anything. Does anyone have any knowledge on removal of the evap canister that can help me with this project. Suncoast Parts stated there's two models of canister for my Boxster year I will need to remove the canister for to know the model. Thanks again for any help you could give me!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

On my 01 there was one bolt and a couple of push-in grommets. I just pulled hard!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/12941-removing-carbon-canister-in-front-fender/
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #7

Evap Canister

Thanks for the reply and assistance. I pulled as hard as possible without trying to break any parts but it feels like something is bolted or screwed in from the back side. I also see one torx screw at the top part of the evap. Should that be removed? it does not look like it's attached to the car, but part of the evap itself. I will agree with you that this is PITA. I can't wait to get it off to have it replace. I'll try it again tomorrow

Last edited by ArticBoxster; 04-16-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #8

It might help to remove the two bolts holding the valve body toward the front of the fender. Unless the body is loosened or the stiff tubes removed at the top of the canister I doubt you will get enough freedom of movement to get the canister out. It was only one bolt on my 2000 S.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #9

Evap canister

Many thanks to everyone in this forum that helped me with this issue. This was one expensive part...a little over $400...but it's done and over with now on to other projects. Thanks again for your tips!!!!