Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

what are YOUR track setting for PSS9

Hi,

I am struggling to find good settings for the track for my PSS9 and was hoping that some of you could post their settings which worked for them

I have Tarrett front/rear sway bars and have them
* second to hardest in the front
* second to softest in the rear

But I am totally clueless on how hard I should make the PSS9

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Suspension settings

I just had the PSS9 installed with a gt3 bar in the front and the Tarett in the rear. I don't have a clue either on the shock settings, I am at 5 now and have been out twice. From my reading it seems to me (?????) that you have the bars set up backwards. I could be wrong but my conclusions were that you need more rear bar in order to get more front grip. How about some info from you guys that have the knowledge. Bill, Pgh, PA
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
My latest setup FWIW:

Tires NT-01 225/255 17s
Front bar- #1 full soft
Rear bar- #2 of four
Front Dampening #3
Rear dampening#4

Will test this weekend at Chuckwalla. My car performed well at Fontana last month (1st in class and new course record for Boxster Spec X) but felt a little stiff with some wheel spin in the exit of turn #9 (tight 2nd gear off camber). I softened the rear a tad and we will see how she runs. Different tire choices may require different settings.

Last edited by Topless; 05-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

Rear Bar

I don't know which way the holes are numbered on the rear bar. Are calling hole #1 full soft or full stiff? I call my stiffiest setting as #1, I don't know if that is correct or not.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtee
I don't know which way the holes are numbered on the rear bar. Are calling hole #1 full soft or full stiff? I call my stiffiest setting as #1, I don't know if that is correct or not.
As far as I know there is no official number system. I choose to use 1-4 or 1-5 from the end of the bar. Increasing the number increases bar stiffness. Feel free to use my comp sway numbering system... or not.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Settings

couple questions: I have the gt3 front bar with tarett links. When I jack up my car at the jacking point and the suspension is hanging own, the bar is resting on the lower control arm, is this correct or could my links be adjusted too long?

I am running Goodrich g force r-1 this year and have been using a couple more pounds of air in the rear like the street setup, but the more research I do, I think this is just promoting understeer, I think this weekend I am going to start 32 cold all around and see what happens. Last week I ran 32 rear, 30 front. It ran well but I think I had some understeer.

I am running at Nelson Ledges on Sunday and there is a sweeping right hander, decreasing radius, and I seem to have to letup to make the final part of the turn, at that point I feel understeer, I think I am going to go to #2 on the rear bar with #1 being full stiff, this should help with the understeer. I went to full soft on the front gt3 bar. I am running the bilstein's at 5 all around. I think my next move after that will be to stiffen up the rear shock and see what happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bill, Pgh, PA
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Bar contact is bad so you probably need to shorten the links otherwise you will bend them... and something else along the way.

Hot tire pressure is always my goal so start with 32 cold and recheck immediately after each session. I want 36 hot on all four. You may want 38-40 hot for R-1 tires. Here is the tire guide:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/R1_Guide_online_2.26.07.pdf

Diagnosing handling issues is difficult enough trackside... So many variables. Much more so 2000 miles away and never seeing or driving the car. I will assume you had the car professionally corner balanced and aligned. I will also assume that your installer factored in a generous amount of rake. You say you "let up to make the final part of the turn, at that point I feel understeer". Is that right? You ease up on the throttle to make the apex and you get front end push? That doesn't sound right. When you lift the throttle the rear should become lighter and begin to rotate, and the front should stick. I am confused.