Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #1

Stereo Gremlin

Hi guys - This issue has been plaguing me since I purchased the car in 2007 and for my sanity's sake I've decided to finally address this issue.

When I purchased the car ('98 Boxster) the previous owner had installed an aftermarket Sony headunit. I'm not sure how it was installed, who did the install, and whether or not the appropriate measures were taken, all I know is that it has been driving me crazy.

ISSUE: Horrible Buzzing sound from the stereo system (i.e. through the speakers) after 2-3 minutes of driving. I have to take the faceplate off and then re-install to get it to stop but after a few more minutes it's back to buzzing.

Any thoughts? I want to have a few ideas before heading out and getting this addressed.

If any of the Ottawa members could suggest a trustworthy stereo shop that would be great!

VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Suspect it's a typical a car audio ground loop issue...

Here's a good thread from a car audio forum w/ description / fixes (cut & paste this link):

caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/198477-engine-whine-ground-loop-fixes-take-two.html

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 04-08-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

I would have said ground loop too, but the OP says it takes a while to appear. Ground loop would be there all the time.

These units act funny sometimes when the connections between the faceplate and the main body aren't clean.

It's easy to do, so it's worth a try to carefully clean the bank of contacts with alcohol.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys.

Both ideas sound good and at least I have a starting point.

Any other thoughts are welcome! Thanks Mike

VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote