Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #1

immobiliser problem can someone help?

Hi

I just tried to start my boxster (2.7 2000 model) only to find that the engine does not turn over all the lights on the dash is on and the radio etc comes o9n but the ignition does not turn over.

Is there anything i can do? the key activates adn deactivates the alarm.

help!!

cheers

millsyoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #2

Hi,

Sounds as if you have a failed ignition switch. This can be fixed pretty easily by a DIYer or at a Service Center. The Porsche PN# is: 4A0.905.849.B Be sure to double check the PN # because you have a GB version. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #3

If the key is difficult to turn and/or get in or out of the keyhole then it's probably the ignition switch. You can get the switch for $10 at Pelican Parts.

Did you disconnect the battery for anything recently? When I removed the airbag clockspring to replace the turn signal switch, the immobilizer kicked on and would not allow it to start. You can turn off the immobilizer with the Durametric reader if you have one. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend it for future diagnostics. Very easy to use and helps tremendously with electrical stuff.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
If the key is difficult to turn and/or get in or out of the keyhole then it's probably the ignition switch. You can get the switch for $10 at Pelican Parts.

Did you disconnect the battery for anything recently? When I removed the airbag clockspring to replace the turn signal switch, the immobilizer kicked on and would not allow it to start. You can turn off the immobilizer with the Durametric reader if you have one. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend it for future diagnostics. Very easy to use and helps tremendously with electrical stuff.

How do you turn off the immobilizer with the Durametric reader? Why did you need to replace the turn switch?
dm1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #5

I had a similar problem with my 2001 2.7 box (euro specs). The engine wouldn't turn over but all the dash lights would come on as normal and I can unlock/lock the car as normal.

The error in my case was "key not recognized" or something like that - an immobilizer warning message... my mechanic pried open my key and cleaned the transponder (little capsule thing) and the viola... the engine turned over and started...

HOWEVER, it happened again (again when I was at my mechanic's workshop... strange) and would start only after 10 mins of trying (and doing the same trick afew times).

Once the car got started again... I drove straight into the OPC and they cloned a new key for me... No problem since....

Check to see if you have the same warning codes .... else it could be the ignition switch. Or if you have a spare key, try that key to start the car... in my case, both times, my spare key was 300 over km away !!

And oh.. in my case, when the car wouldn't start... the led on the center of the dashboard flashed differently when you lock the car (or unlock.. I forget). Quick flashes... before setting down to it's normal slow occasional flashes.

Last edited by shlim8; 04-05-2011 at 12:44 AM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote