Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Convertible no closing properly

Hi, I have just had a new rear window sewn in and now the roof does not close quite right. On the LHS the roof bead sits outside of the channel. See photos.

What do I need to do so it always guides itself into the channel?

Thanks, Simon

ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
ferrytrip1, this is unfortunately a known problem with the convertible tops on the cars and does not have a simple solution. It happened to me a few times both with my old and new tops, and it happens at random. If the shop that you had sew in the new window removed the top from the car to put the window in, maybe bring it back to them and have them double check the fitment of the top (not to say that this issue is their fault, as I said, it's a known problem that has always existed).

Sorry that I don't really have a solution for you other than to double check that area during top cycling, but I have yet to hear of a legitimate solution to this problem. Someone else may chime in if they know of one, though.

When you cycle the top, make sure you stop before approaching fully closed and tuck the material into the channel if needed before finishing the closure.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, it was not like it before it went in so I will take it back. Seems this roof is destined to be mollycoddled - need to stop and chop when opening and stop and tuck when closing. Does not make for a quick process either way.

Cheers, Simon
Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
It certainly doesn't, but short of getting a top with a glass window, there's not much you can do about the chop.

My original top didn't fall out of the channel for months when I first bought it, then suddenly once in a while it started happening. After getting the new top put on, again, all was fine for the first few cycles, then it dropped out of the channel just slightly to where I was able to push it back in, and then other times it has fallen out much like what you've got pictured. I'm now in the habit of sticking my hand up and checking that section of the top before I lock it back in place. Annoying, yes, but not really avoidable.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrytrip1 View Post
Hi, I have just had a new rear window sewn in and now the roof does not close quite right. On the LHS the roof bead sits outside of the channel. See photos.

What do I need to do so it always guides itself into the channel?

Thanks, Simon

Simon:

There are a few possible causes for the cable falling outside the guide channels, and all of them are fixable.

Take a look at this link for a detailed explanation of the the causes and the fixes, under the heading "When the Top Edge Doesn't Fall into the Guide Channels": thetop-itsmaintaince&replacement - mikefocke2

Let me know how you make out or if you need anything clarified further with more pics, etc...

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

Lightbulb Finger tight

I looks like previous owners of my 986 left it out side all winter. There are other issues the clamshell has been twisted. I just reach out and guide the top in on both sides with my fingers, before manually clamping the roof up. Not a big deal. It happens less and less as it gets use to being in the right place. I put the top up when I park out of town, or at a light when it rains. But usually I keep the top down like a proper sports car.
Sumflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Maurice the link you sent was very good - I looked first at the cable then at the spring plates. The one on the bad side was not fitted properly - it was under the tab it was supposed to be "springing" against. I relocated it to be on top of the tab like the other side - so far so good - a few roof open / close cycles and it appears to line up now.

I will report back if it goes bad again - thank you for the help

Simon
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #8

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote