Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

MAF & more

1998 986. I got some 1123 & 1125 codes and some power lag and took the car to the shop. They scanned it while driving and said the MAF is bad. On the advice of the forum, I disconnected the cable to the MAF and suddenly the engine ran very nicely with no lag. So, I am assuming this is indeed the problem. So, several questions:

1) have any of you had ongoing success with cleaning the MAF or is it usually a "replace" type of situation ?
2) the dealer quoted $200 in LABOR for this repair, but it looks like a 15 minute swap out. Am i missing something here?
3) what are the hazards of driving with the MAF disconnected ?
4) what should I expect to pay for the new part and where is the best place to purchase?

As always, THXX in advance.

sg

macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Garage
Try cleaning it with CRC MAS spray cleaner, may need a security torx bit to remove the screw. About $300 for new sensor try Pelican Parts.com for price reference. Once you have the removal torx tool it takes 10 minutes to replace, $200 labor is ridiculas
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #3

I've not had to mess with my MAF (so far...), but from what I've heard, people have gotten mixed results with trying to clean them. Some have had good luck, some not. For some, it has helped but only very temporarily.

Having said that, it can't hurt to give it a shot.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Maf

God bless the 986 forum. ask a question, get an answer 10 mins later. why doesn't the rest of the world work this way?

I'll buy the cleaner and give it a shot. strangely enough, i actually have the Torx tool and i'm not sure why. I saw a Bosch on Pelican for $185--- any reason not to buy this?

any thoughts on the hazards of driving with the MAF disconnected? it hasn't run this well in months.

sg
Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #5

For your model year, ******************************** has the MAF listed on sale for $168.25
http://www.************************************************************/search/product.aspx?sid=xfgstx55emm0kp45lnigvmmc&partnumber=996-606-123-00
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyfilms
1998 986. I got some 1123 & 1125 codes and some power lag and took the car to the shop. They scanned it while driving and said the MAF is bad. On the advice of the forum, I disconnected the cable to the MAF and suddenly the engine ran very nicely with no lag. So, I am assuming this is indeed the problem. So, several questions:

1) have any of you had ongoing success with cleaning the MAF or is it usually a "replace" type of situation ?
2) the dealer quoted $200 in LABOR for this repair, but it looks like a 15 minute swap out. Am i missing something here?
3) what are the hazards of driving with the MAF disconnected ?
4) what should I expect to pay for the new part and where is the best place to purchase?

As always, THXX in advance.

sg
1- Mine didn't respond to the MAF cleaning, since I was getting a P0102 code. Replacement resolved the issue.

2- Tell your dealer "Thank You for the ridiculous labor quote, as that allowed you to research the install process, and made you realize how simple it is for your car." They might change their install quote to get your business.

3- Poor fuel economy, poor power.

4- Other people answered that for you already.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Garage
Also on Pelican parts site Wayne Dempsey the owner says the Porsche MAS lasts longer & is more accurate than the Bosch MAS
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #8

Maf

Thanks guys. $168 is a great price ! Just to update you, here's what i've discovered so far:

response has been about 50/50: cleaning vs replacing, in terms of success. but there is clearly no reason not to try cleaning first.

when driving the car with the MAF disconnected, here is what i discovered: runs much better when it's cold, runs much worse when it's hot. the reverse of its behavior when it's connected.

some of you might have noticed this car was for sale. it sold today for $7200 with just 58k miles and a clean bill of health except for the MAF and needing new brakes in front. a crazy low price, but there seems to be limited demand in this economy. Happy New Year all !