Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #1

Thoughts on cold air intake?

It looks like a long, cold winter, and I am looking for projects. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with cold air intakes?

Are there any recommended brands, or is it better to make your own? Also, not familiar with how a MAF works. Would it be affected by a new intake?

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #2

Garage
I have the EVO high flow air intake on my vehicle. It gives a slight bump in hp, however, the sound it makes from mid to high rpm's is awesome. Keep in mind, that the filter needs to be cleaned and oiled periodically so it doesn't raise hell with the MAF.

www.evoms.com
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

Johnny, what made you choose the EVOMS intake over the K&N? or any other competitor for that reason. Just curious because of cost difference and claimed hp on dyno sheets.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Johnny, what made you choose the EVOMS intake over the K&N? or any other competitor for that reason. Just curious because of cost difference and claimed hp on dyno sheets.
I chose the EVO intake based on its design and how it incorporated its own enclosed air box that shields the filter from unwanted dust and debris. In addition, I was impressed by the feedback that I had received by other Porschephiles . I understand that its quite a bit more expensive than other systems out there. And, I imagine that a simple, high quality drop in filter such as the BMC probably produces the same net effect. As I said, however, the sound of the EVO is just awesome.