Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Pat

Shifting isn't very smooth. Considering new motor mount or shifter.

I purchased the well cared for car with 75K miles on it six months ago. Now the car has 92K miles on it and the gritty/grinding/inconsistent/notchy shifting is starting to irritate me. I'd like to get it smoothed out, but am unsure whether I should replace the motor mount or shifter. Is there an easy way to determine which is the likely culprit without actually removing the motor mount?
Based on my research it looks like the motor mount I would go with is the 987 piece. The shifter would probably be the 997 one.
I don't want to throw parts at a problem, but it seems like either would help my cause. If I could make it shift perfectly with a new motor mount, I'd probably go that route, even if the shifts may be a bit longer than with a 997 shifter.
Your thoughts?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

try shifting with key on engine off
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Pat

Shifts better when the engine isn't running....I think.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

its startin to look like a MM . where does the clutch grab ? right off the floor ? halfway up? real high up?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Pat

Pretty high
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

If your car is a 986 and has over 90k miles on it and is on the original motor mount I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't worn out. My 2000 has 84k and the original mount was completely trashed. The 987 mount has a lot more rubber in it and is stiffer. Made shifting much smoother. Shockingly so in fact. At that mileage it almost a given that the mount needs replacing IMO. I did find that at least with my worn mount that the car would vibrate at around 3k RPM. Does yours do anything like that? I understand that's a common symptom of a bad motor mount.

Steve
2000 2.7L
BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #7

If you're changing you motor mount then with that mileage you might want to change your water pump and thermostat while you're in there.

And so it starts....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

Garage
My car is 2000S with 46k now; I got it at 38k. My shifting characteristics sucked and I bought a b&m ssk. Made a world of difference. About 3 weeks ago I changed the MM to a Wevo unit. That was a big change! Much more responsive, as my stock unit was pretty trashed and I could feel it bouncing around. The wevo is not for everyone, but stock units fail at 40k easy.

Still having a cold shifting problem mainly with 2nd, most likely the synchro, luckily my warranty will cover that when the time is right.

Kyle
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #9

I sure hope the 987 mount doesn't fail at 40K! It's substantially beefier than the 986 mount. I can see that one failing at 40K regularly.

Steve

BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote