Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #1

would hitting one pot hole screw up a boxster suspension?

i recently had one rear tire go in to a deep but small pot hole at parking speeds...the car did not bottom out and the rim and tire were ok...could did incident cause any damage to the rear suspension on a new boxster?or i am just paranoid...there are no unusal noises..what are signs of suspension damage from a pot hole??..i now i am being paranoid but it s a new porsche!!!!!

scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

Talking

I would just relax and continue to drive your car. Since the Box is such a finely tuned auto, you will notice something amiss if there is something to notice.

Some more obvious signs of distress would be unusual noise, pulling to one side, wobble in steering wheels, etc.

Best of luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #3

I hot a big one the same month I first purchased my box. It broke the little front spoiler off on the front right and threw my alignment off.

edit: I think alignment was $100 for the front and $100 for the back so a total of $200 for a 4 wheel alignment.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #4

pothole? umm I don't think so unless it was a NYC size hole that you could fit a baby carriage in.

Back in March I skidded on some ice pulling into a gas station and put one wheel completey over an 8" curb and almost took out one of those little garden waterfalls. I Drove directly to the dealer (after a tow truck had to reverse winch me off the curb) The alignment was only slightly off according to the service manager. Alignment was $150
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
pothole? umm I don't think so unless it was a NYC size hole that you could fit a baby carriage in.

Back in March I skidded on some ice pulling into a gas station and put one wheel completey over an 8" curb and almost took out one of those little garden waterfalls. I Drove directly to tthhe dealer (after a tow truck had to reverse winch me off the curb) The alignment was only slightly off according to the service manager. Alignment was $150
thanks, porsche makes one heck of a strong suspension....mine was not nearly that bad and the car appears to be riding and tracking fine....probably just new car paranoia...the boxster is sooooo easy to get attached to....
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #6

take it up to 100mph, you'll know the truth there about your alignment.

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote